ZyWall 310 firmware upgrade

Options
BenG
BenG Posts: 2
Hi - I've inherited a ZyWall 310 on v4.35, which I want to upgrade to the latest 4.70.

Can I do this in one step...? And can I back up the system settings so that I can revert/restore it if there's any problems...? I'm new to this system so any other thoughts, dos/donts appreciated, thanks!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,296  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @BenG,
    If the original firmware version 4.35 is official version, it can be upgraded directly to 4.70.
    If the original firmware is not official but date firmware/debug firmware/weekly firmware, we don't suggest you upgrade directly from 4.35_date_firmware to 4.70. Please upgrade to the official version 4.38 first and then upgrade to 4.70.

We also suggest you save the startup-config.conf before performing firmware upgrade.

Here is the example.
    Condition 1
    435AAAB3C0 > 4.70  => OK

Condition 2
    4.35_date_firmware  > 4.70  => Not recommended 
    4.35_date_firmware  > 4.38 > 4.70 => OK 

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,767  Guru Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Well if you don't care what settings are on the ZyWALL then upgrade it and reset it to defaults.

But you should be able to upgrade with the current settings if not it will go to the old firmware you can backup your config reset to  defaults upgrade then apply your config with "Ignore errors and finish applying the configuration file" most settings will apply. 

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,296  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @BenG,
    If the original firmware version 4.35 is official version, it can be upgraded directly to 4.70.
    If the original firmware is not official but date firmware/debug firmware/weekly firmware, we don't suggest you upgrade directly from 4.35_date_firmware to 4.70. Please upgrade to the official version 4.38 first and then upgrade to 4.70.

We also suggest you save the startup-config.conf before performing firmware upgrade.

Here is the example.
    Condition 1
    435AAAB3C0 > 4.70  => OK

Condition 2
    4.35_date_firmware  > 4.70  => Not recommended 
    4.35_date_firmware  > 4.38 > 4.70 => OK 
  • BenG
    BenG Posts: 2
    Options
    ...thanks for the info; that's very helpful. "About ZyWALL" shows:

Current Version: V4.35(AAAB.0)
    Released Date: 2019-09-25 09:46:34