Assign an access port to a vlan known by gvrp

Millbull
Millbull Posts: 10
First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi everybody,
I'm familiar with VTP but not GVRP.
I've configured my switches so the static vlans from one switch are propagated to other switches, but how can I configure a port to be an access port using a dynamically learned VLAN ? Is it possible like with VTP, or the only way is to create static vlans on the other switches ?

Thanks for the help.
Regards

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    @Millbull,
    Yes, will need to configure the static Vlan on all the access switches (which connect with the end device), the benefit is you don't need to done the same thing on the core switch.
    Just to be clear the interlinks is the port between the switches, and yes the GVRP will set on those ports.
    Chris

All Replies

• Zyxel_Chris
    @Millbull,
    Yes, this is doable.
    Not suer what model you use, I take GS1920 for instance, would like to set VLAN200 as the dynamic VLAN on port 7.
    In VLAN> Static VLAN setup the port 7 should be cofingure as "Normal"

In VLAN> VLAN port setup, activate GVRP and the corresponding port.

Chris
  • Millbull
    First Comment
    Hi Chris, so in the other switches I have to recreate a static vlan, like in your first picture ?
    For instance, I create a vlan #200 on my "root" switch, activate gvrp, and then it's necessary to create static vlan #200 on the "leave" switches to be able to affect access ports to vlan 200 ?

Regards

• Zyxel_Chris
    Hi @Millbull,
    I assume you have totally three switches and you should creat the static Vlan and GVRP on "leaves". 
    On "root" just activate GVRP on the corresponding port no need to create the static Vlan.
    Those setting are usually configure on the port (uplink port) between each switch.

Those setting are no need to set on the access port, may I know if your end device can send the vlan tag? If not then please set your access port with PVID 200, for this case.

If it is not you ask for then please just feel free to provide your scenario for me. :)

Chris
  • Millbull
    First Comment
    Hi Chris,

I thought that GVRP worked the same as VTP with which we create the vlans on a switch configured as vtp server and then assign all access ports on the switches configured as VTP clients, without having to declare that vlans.
    In my case I have a root bridge, and several switches as branches and leaves and I need to configure all access ports on different vlans. 
    If I understand, in my case no other choice but declare static vlans on all the switches and configure gvrp on the switches interlinks. Am I right ? 

Regards
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Answer ✓
    @Millbull,
    Yes, will need to configure the static Vlan on all the access switches (which connect with the end device), the benefit is you don't need to done the same thing on the core switch.
    Just to be clear the interlinks is the port between the switches, and yes the GVRP will set on those ports.
    Chris
  • Millbull
    First Comment
    Hi Chris,
    OK, it confirms what I thought.
    Thanks for taking time to answer.
    Regards.