XGS1210-12 vs SFP 2.5gbit

mparka
mparka Posts: 5
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi, currently I am using SFP+ RJ45 modules from MikroTik (S+RJ10), 10Gbit and HP SFP (1 gbit). No issues there. I have also two modules of TP-LINK TL-SM410U - which are SFP, but designed for 2.5 gbit connectivity. Unfortunately, TP-Link modules are not recognized (activity led is not blinking).

Is there a way to make them working? What may be the issue here?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,623  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 2022
    Hi @mparka,

Since the SFP port of XGS1210-12 only support 1G & 10G speed, the 2.5G SFP module may cause linking failure due to none support link speed.
    May you try to fix 1G speed to check if the port can link up or not?
    By the way, if you would like to have 2.5G speed, you can connect to port 9/10 since these two ports support 2.5G.

Zyxel Melen

• mparka
    edited April 2022
    Thanks. Currently my two 2.5 ports are used, 10G SFP+ with S+RJ10 module - working perfectly with all "NBASE-T" protocols (and currently it is in 2.5GBASE-T mode, even if switch is showing 10G). Please note that Mikrotik is using Marvell 88X3310P chip. Maybe incompatibility is caused by some way transceiver is "reported" to the switch?

2nd SFP+ port is currently utilized with HP 1G module - also no issue. And this one I would like to replace with TL-SM410U.

I will try to force the port to 1G only, with this setting?

Edit - after forcing to particular speed it is still not detected (with the difference that for DAC and SFP+10G - led is start be "solid blue" but no communication is happening, for SFP+1000M - led is off.

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @mparka,

May I know what is the other device you connect to XGS1210-12 with TL-SM410U?
    Is this device support 2.5G?
    And may you insert two TL-SM410U to XGS1210-12 and connect them to check if the link can up or not? (Or insert one TL-SM410U and connect to the 2.5G port of XGS1210-12)
    If the link still not up, this could be an IOP issue.

Zyxel Melen

• mparka
    edited April 2022
    Hi @Zyxel_Melen, I have tried all the options as given by you. None of them works. For example - this is the situation when port 12 with TL-SM410U was connected to port 10. Remark when refreshing TX (Pkts) for port 10 was increasing, RX (Pkts) was the same all the time. See sequence:

My device is OPNsense router with RTL8125B NICs. Also I have tried USB3 NIC with RTL8156B.

For now I have plugged two MikroTek SFP+ S+RJ10 transceivers (port 11 and 12) and both are correctly recognized and correctly negotiated 2.5G speeds:

"Client" of PORT 11 (RTL8156B):

"Client" of PORT 12 (OPNsense interfaces), "OPT5" (RTL8125B):

• mparka
    edited February 2023
    It seems that it is only problem with communication between switch and transceiver.

When I connect TL-SM410U and on the endpoint - connect my Windows PC (RTL 8156 USB3 NIC) - I see as following (please note that 2.5 G connection is established, but in the same moment "switch thinks that port 11 is down"):

Maybe it will be possible to enable support in firmware for these transceivers?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @mparka,

Thanks for sharing your test result.
    However, our datasheet has mentioned that 10G port links on 1G/10G, it's the hardware spec.
    Although we have some users on worldwide who help us test some 3rd part transceivers and gets works, we do not guarantee 2.5G always works well on SFP port officially.

Zyxel Melen