Failed to Start service: ZyWALL SecuExtender Helper

Options
NEP
NEP Posts: 61  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Hello. One of our users is having an issue with SecuExtender SSL VPN on their laptop. They are using the latest release (4.0.4.0) and running Windows 11. Having checked the logs, it appears that the "ZyWALL SecuExtender Helper" service is having issues starting (partial log below).

OpenSCManager failed (5) (0x5)
Failed to Start service: ZyWALL SecuExtender Helper (0x6)
You must startup the "ZyWALL SecuExtender Helper" before using SecuExtender (0x6)
SSL Connection is going to be closed

After a quick search, I found the following website. It appears to be the same issue and details downloading a "tap0901_zyxel.sys" file, placing it in the System32 directory, and then re-installing SecuExtender. I'd like to give this a try but couldn't verify the site. I'm leaning towards it being legit but the certificate is from "Let's Encrypt" as opposed to "Sectigo" which is used by Zyxel.com.

Let me know if this is legit and whether or not there will be an update to the official download of SecuExtender. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 769  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @NEP,
    Yes, you can trust the site. Please kindly following these steps and check the issue is resolved.
    Please feel free to contact us if the issue persist.
    Thank you
    Kevin

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 769  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @NEP,
    Yes, you can trust the site. Please kindly following these steps and check the issue is resolved.
    Please feel free to contact us if the issue persist.
    Thank you
    Kevin

Security Highlight