USG210 as AP controller access local network

Options
ErwinTriple
ErwinTriple Posts: 4
edited July 2022 in Security
I have a USG210 as AP controller. See below. Please, can anybody tell me how I have to setup the USG210, so I can access the fileserver with the laptop.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,810  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2022
    Options

Do the laptop and fileserver have gateway IP's?

If this is MS file sharing you just put:

\\10.10.10.100

You then need to allow the zones from and to for it port 445.

• ErwinTriple
    ErwinTriple Posts: 4
    edited July 2022
    Options
    For the managed AP I use DHCP server with CAPWAP 138. So, the laptop becomes the address from the USG210 DHCP server.
    The Fileserver becomes his address from the DHCP server which running on the fileserver.
    Beside the laptop, I also want to connect with the fileserver using mobile Android and IOS devices which are connected to the managed AP.
    See updated drawing

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 624  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    Based on your topology, the laptop should able to access the file server without any policy route or related settings.
    There are several things we have to check
    1. Does the log show any block/drop log? Do you have any policy route or security policy that may affect the traffic? Have you tried to disabled it?
    2. If the laptop directly connect to USG210, will it work?
    3. Could you capture the packet when performing the test? please capture on Laptop, WAN/LAN on USG210, and the file server? You may also try ping file server from the laptop.
    Thank you.

James
  • ErwinTriple
    Options
    Hello James,

I've connected the laptop directly to LAN2 of the USG210, and now I can ping and reach the fileserver by IP address. After changing the First DNS server to 10.10.10.100, I can also reach the fileserver bij Servername.
    Now I have connected the laptop again by WLAN, and now it isn't possible to connect the fileserver.

Best regards,
    Erwin
  • Zyxel_James
    Options
    Hello Erwin,
    When the laptop connects to WLAN, could it ping to the file server 10.10.10.100 or LAN2 gateway 10.10.18.1?
    You may also try trace route from the laptop to the file server by the command "tracert 10.10.10.100", to see where the traffic stops.
    Moreover, did you see any block/drop log?

James
  • ErwinTriple
    Options
    Hello James,

Now it is possible to connect with the fileserver by IP address, not by servername. (Yesterday I updated my comment with these information, but I forgot to post the comment. I'm sorry.)
    I can ping the fileserver and the LAN2 gateway.
    The tracert command give the following result

Erwin
  • Zyxel_James
    Options
    Hello Erwin,
    When the laptop connecting to AP, please do a nslookup for the server name, check if it could resolve to the correct IP.
    We also could capture packets to see what happens on DNS query.
    Thank you.

James

Security Highlight