XGS1250-12 New Owner: Setup Questions re: LAG and Statistics

SinisterPisces
SinisterPisces Posts: 2
Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hello,

I just bought an XGS1250-12 and hooked it up to serve as my multigig switch in the back of my office, since I was running out of ports on my QNAP QSW-M2108-2C, and running stupidly long ethernet cables across my floor was getting a bit old, even if they were hidden behind furniture. ;)

This is the first non-QNAP switch I've owned, and I have a couple questions as a new user.
  1. Are the TX/RX Stats Live? Or do I have to refresh the page?
  2. Is there any way to see how much bandwidth is being used on a particular port? So, for example, I'd be interested in seeing how many KB/MB/GB per second are traveling on a particular port in real time. My QNAP provides this feature, but I'm not sure whether there's a hardware limitation on the XGS1250-12 that means this feature is off the table.
  3. LAG Question 1. I'm experienced with using dynamic LAG/LACP with my QSW and QNAP NAS. I'm aware (now) that the XGS doesn't support this--though I wasn't aware of that when I bought it. Has anyone set up Static LAG with Proxmox? What would be the advantage of that, if it's doable?
  4. LAG Question 2. Is there a way to just LAG ports 9 and 10 or 10 and 11 together? I've got a device I'm using as a Proxmox host with 2x2.5GbE ports, and was planning to LAG those together, but my only multigig option for LAG is 9, 10, and 11. I could stick a third USB-to-2.5 GbE on that server and get a 7.5Gb pipe, but I'd hoped to leave one of those free for a device that needs a single 10Gb RJ-45 connection. Right now, that single 10GbE device is an uplink to my core switch. I kind of need that. :P
Regarding (4), it's not a deal killer if this can't be done, though it would be a disappointing surprise and I would hope a future software update might give us more LAG options.

I'd appreciate any advice or additional information anyone might have. Thanks!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @SinisterPisces

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    1. Are the TX/RX Stats Live? 
    > No, you need to refresh the page to check the current TX/RX packets.

Is there any way to see how much bandwidth is being used on a particular port?
    > No, XGS1250-12 does not support showing the bandwidth usage s
    ince XGS1250-12 is an easy Web management switch for home and small office users to easy setup.

LAG Question 1. 
    > Proxmox supports Static LAG, it is able to establish Static LAG/Static trunk with XGS1250-12. The advantage is increasing the available bandwidth(load-sharing) and enhancing the network reliability. 

4. LAG Question 2. 
    > The current specification is grouping these three ports together. If you need to connect XGS1250-12 to your core switch with 10G link, we suggest using the SFP port(port 12) and connecting to your core switch.
    We will also evaluate if there is a possibility to enhance the LAG port grouping option.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2022
    Hi @SinisterPisces,

In addition, we will improve the LAG port grouping option in the future firmware released.

Zyxel Melen