NWA50AX standalone - minimum requirement for seamless roaming of clients?

Options
2»

All Replies

• Bellocarico
    Bellocarico Posts: 15  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Given the following info:

802.11k helps clients discover neighboring APs, reducing the need for the client to perform off-channel scanning as it makes the decision on the next Access Point to roam to. A client will request a list of neighboring APs in the form of a neighbor report. 802.11k is enabled by default <br><div></div>

802.11v is a large amendment, which consists of several features, most of which were never implemented in the real world. Mist supports 802.11v BSS Transition Management (BTM), it is enabled by default. 802.11v BTM allows the infrastructure to make solicited or unsolicited roaming recommendations to the client. Which the client is free to ignore, and they often do.

----
    How do multiple AP gather info about neigbour APs/SSID to be shared with the clients? Is this done via individual WiFi survey on each device (ZyxelA sees ZyxelB so it shares the info to the client) or rather a socket connection (TCP neighbouring over ethernet)? Thanks
  • Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 926  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Dear Customer

Roaming is the behavior of clients handle with the difference AP. With the good AP deployment, seamless roaming exists.

802.11k/v will help APs through Ethernet get information about neighbor APs/SSID then share to the clients.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• Bellocarico
    Bellocarico Posts: 15  Freshman Member
    Options
    Ok thanks so a network socket exists between all the neighboring AP is the answer I was looking for.

Appreciated!
  • jpblanch75
    jpblanch75 Posts: 110  Ally Member
    Options
    But the fast roaming option 802 11r is not available when in standby mode unfortunately.
  • jpblanch75
    jpblanch75 Posts: 110  Ally Member
    Options
    I like Nebula but to be fair I find the standalone interface more practical for my usage.

There's one question I have though... what do I need to enable (in standalone) for multiple wired AP to talk to each other and share client information so that clients can roam seamlessly between APs? I don't see anything on the interface apart from fast roaming but it still doesn't tell me if and how the devices communicate amongst each other.

Thanks!
    Do you have Fast roaming as an option is standalone mode?  My NWA210AX APs didn't last I checked but that was a few Firmware ago so I went back to Nebula Cloud control for fast roaming.

I do have fast roaming and each device see each other in the Overview - Ethernet neighbor. Is it safe to assume devices peer to each other to share client information and make fast roaming happen? Or is a network controller really needed?
    A network controller or Cloud controller is needed for fast roaming (802.11r).  It is not available in Stand-alone mode.