NWA50AX Mesh Network

strato
strato Posts: 2
Hello,
I just bought two NWA50AXs. Both connected to my switch via POE. My question refers to creating a proper home network. Both APs already share the same SSID/Passkey and everything seems to work just fine.
Do I need to modify any settings for maximum efficiency and range? I want to avoid that one AP picks up the signal of the other and repeats that signal (that would be inefficient as both are fed by Ethernet).

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Phillip


All Replies

  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 731  Guru Member
    edited July 30
    strato said:
    Do I need to modify any settings for maximum efficiency and range?

    These are my personal suggestions and opinions:
    - if connected via Ethernet, mesh arrangement should be evaluated in your environment by competent person in wireless networks.
    - Scan for rogue networks and cross-define both APs as friendly to each other
    - Enable DFS on both devices
    - Check after several hours if the APs have different channels
    - Consider that 2.4ghz networks might suffer of interference if the APs are too close (less than 2-3 meters)
     
    strato said:
    I want to avoid that one AP picks up the signal of the other and repeats that signal (that would be inefficient as both are fed by Ethernet).

    In my personal opinion, unless you specifically configure an AP for acting as a repeater, the scenario you report should not happen.
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 300  Zyxel Employee

    Hi @strato

     

    Normally, the deployment for seamless wireless service environment we recommended is to ensure the coverage at least 15% and RSSI around -65dBm because the clients may feel wireless performance not good at the farthest poor signal area if setup for non-covered signal between access points.

     

     

    You can base on the use experience then consider if your applications accept above situation and decide which way to deploy or by adjust the power settings on APs to tune the signal coverage. @mMontana provides many advanced tips while wireless not only related to signal strength but also other factors such as radio band penetration, interference. After you finished deployment and the configurations, any questions are welcome to share, we’ll help to check and advice. Thank you

     

    Regards,

    Bella

     


  • strato
    strato Posts: 2
    mMontana said:
    strato said:
    Do I need to modify any settings for maximum efficiency and range?

    These are my personal suggestions and opinions:
    - if connected via Ethernet, mesh arrangement should be evaluated in your environment by competent person in wireless networks.
    - Scan for rogue networks and cross-define both APs as friendly to each other
    - Enable DFS on both devices
    - Check after several hours if the APs have different channels
    - Consider that 2.4ghz networks might suffer of interference if the APs are too close (less than 2-3 meters)
     
    strato said:
    I want to avoid that one AP picks up the signal of the other and repeats that signal (that would be inefficient as both are fed by Ethernet).

    In my personal opinion, unless you specifically configure an AP for acting as a repeater, the scenario you report should not happen.
    Thanks a lot!
    Once friendly APs are defined, I can turn off the Rogue Detection, correct? I defined friendly APs by adding the Mac Adress of each 2.4 and 5GHz transmitter - that is the correct way, right (I was surprised to see two Mac Adresses as I thought that each AP would have only one MAC Adress)?