Slow performance when booting into PXE Windows PE to image devices

Options
Just wondering if anybody has encountered a similar issue where booting into PXE takes over 40 minutes? We are running XGS1930-52HP with 10Gb links and 10Gb links back to the server. Tried direct to the server via a USB Network card bypassing the switches, and we do not get the issues, so cleary a switch problem?

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,302  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    I understand that what I'm gonna write is maybe something you already looked for...

1: does your PXE image correctly detect and configure the network card for the maximum performances?
    2: you had any other image of OSes (so not only Windows PE) as test?
    3: How it's configured currently your XGS1920-52HP?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,656  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    Hi @Alamo

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    Since some PXE will use multicast to send OS to the client PC, may I know what PXE software do you use, and do you limit the multicast storm with storm control? 
    Could you share your configuration here or PM me for better clarification?

Zyxel Melen

• Alamo
    Options
    mMontana said:
    I understand that what I'm gonna write is maybe something you already looked for...

1: does your PXE image correctly detect and configure the network card for the maximum performances?
    2: you had any other image of OSes (so not only Windows PE) as test?
    3: How it's configured currently your XGS1920-52HP?

A1- The network card is auto-configured as standard there is no config for this.
    A2 - We have not tried to PXE boot other OS but bypassing the switches works, so rules this out.
    A3 - Unsure what config you want me to provide; there is no config on the switches specific to PXE; your questions seem very vague and not related to the issue.
  • Alamo
    Options
    Hi @Alamo

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    Since some PXE will use multicast to send OS to the client PC, may I know what PXE software do you use, and do you limit the multicast storm with storm control? 
    Could you share your configuration here or PM me for better clarification?
    We currently use WDS for PXE booting, where is the storm control setting on the switches?
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @Alamo,

I assume your XGS1930-52HP is using the standalone mode, please go to Menu > Advanced Application > Broadcast Storm Control to check. If it is enabled, please disable it and try again.
    The below screenshot is an example for enable multicast control.

Zyxel Melen

• Alamo
    Options
    Hi @Alamo,

I assume your XGS1930-52HP is using the standalone mode, please go to Menu > Advanced Application > Broadcast Storm Control to check. If it is enabled, please disable it and try again.
    The below screenshot is an example for enable multicast control.

We are using the Nebula cloud, is there something similar on there?
  • Alamo
    Options
    These are the switch port options and Storm Control looks to be disabled.

• homephixx
    Options
    Alamo said:
    Just wondering if anybody has encountered a similar issue where booting into PXE takes over 40 minutes? We are running XGS1930-52HP with 10Gb links and 10Gb links back to the server. Tried direct to the server via a USB Network card bypassing the switches, and we do not get the issues, so cleary a switch problem?

Yes I faced a similar issue. I could not note how long did it exactly take but I know it was loner than expected.  :'(
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @Alamo,

Thanks for your information.
    I will do a local lab with this scenario to clarrify the booting time it takes.
    And I might PM you to confirm some detail information.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hi @Alamo,

I did a local test in which I use XGS1930-52 without any configuration and use Windows Server 2016 to set up WDS PXE.
    My test result shows that the PXE loading files only take about 10s. The OS is Win 7.
    May I know did you take 40 minutes in the loading files process?
    wds-27

Since I did not configure the switch and only connect with the server and client, could you try again and then collect the tech support for me to check what was happening?
    Please login to switch local GUI and click the "Tech-support" button in the quick link to collect and PM it to me.

Also, could you enable Zyxel support for me to check your topology?
    Please go to Help > Support Request > Zyxel Support Access to enable and save. Also, need your organization name so I can find your organization in my org-list.

Zyxel Melen