Setup Nebula - Can No Longer Access Via IP Login

Options
I fully configured two APs (Root, Repeater) and everything was working fine.  They asked to me add an additional SSID on 2.4GHz only for some security cameras, which I came up to do, and decided to additionally add them to Nebula so I don't have to drive 45 minutes each way to make simple changes such as this (I have never used Nebula before).  I lost both access points and had to reconfigure the RootAP via Nebula, but now I can no longer get to the RepeaterAP at all.  When I attempt to login to either via their local IPs, my admin account is denied login as if the password is wrong.  When you enable Nebula do you lose local login ability?  These APs are 25' in the air and are now down 2 days after I just finalized setup ... a very frustrating setup!

All Replies

• Zyxel_HsinBo
    Zyxel_HsinBo Posts: 240  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi, @MShorty

When users change the way of device management from standalone to Cloud solution, settings need to be configured on Nebula, including the Mesh setup.

Before you deploy the APs, please ensure both two APs' uplink could access the gateway and Internet normally and set up the SSID and “Smart Mesh” on Nebula to let APs apply the settings.

For the most important thing, users must need to wait until the configuration status is “Up to date” to ensure APs have applied the settings.

(Check the AP configuration status from Nebula >> Left Sidebar “Access point” >> Access points >> Tap the AP name and you’ll see it in the Status part of the detailed AP status page)

Smart Mesh:

Nebula >> Left Sidebar “Access point” >> AP & port settings >> Turn on the Smart Mesh option and click the “Save” button to keep the modification

When devices are managed on the Nebula, users could still access the Zyxel devices GUI locally via using the account noted with the path on Nebula:

Nebula >> Left Sidebar “Site-wide” >> General settings >> Device configuration

(All devices managed on the same site use this same account to login in locally)

Thank you.

• MShorty
    Options
    The answer is actually the 2nd part only.  The fact that Nebula resets EVERYTHING rather than simply pulling the existing, fully functioning settings into Nebula, including the password to access them, is quite honestly the absolute dumbest thing I have ever seen.  These were working perfectly, we just wanted to be able to access them without having to go onsite.  Rather than ever use Nebula, which is severely crippled by design without paying, I would recommend anybody just install a VPN router instead so they can gain the same remote management functionality without completely hosing themselves.  Now that we have switched to Nebula, and I found the setting myself before this question was responded to, I realized that my admin password was wiped by Nebula, but it really does no good anyways, because all the settings are removed from the IP interface!  Furthermore, the crippled Nebula doesn't have (as far as I and two other techs can find, at least) all the features that are supposed to be available as advertised in the specs (some of which were already configured via IP interface access)!  So beware of Nebula future readers ... Nebula will wipe your entire config, & change your admin password to a random one ... but you can find it as directed above at least!
  • Zyxel_HsinBo
    Zyxel_HsinBo Posts: 240  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

We regret to bring you a bad experience.
    And we see both two NWA55AXE registered under your email are online now, is there another assistance that we could help with?

We'll take this experience carefully, pushing an enhancement of keeping up the basic settings and raising this idea to the wireless idea discussion.
    It would be an improvement for us to keep the settings when users change the management way of APs to let users not need to reconfigure the settings after the management-convert process or even avoid users losing the Internet.
    Thank you.