SecuExtender IpSec 6.6.87.108 Install failure in Windows 11

Options
RamB
RamB Posts: 3
First Comment
Installer fails with error code 1603. I have removed any trace of older installations including folders/files, network adapters created. Restarted windows multiple times.

I am still able to install/uninstall the older SecuExtender version 3.8.204.61.32. But that doesn't work with my server due to Algorithm compatibility.

MSI log:

Action start 9.40.29: INSTALL.
Action start 9.40.29: FindRelatedProducts.
Action ended 9.40.29: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
Action start 9.40.29: SetupDll_DetectExistingInstallation.
DetectExistingInstallation:  DetectExistingVpnClientInstallation()
DetectExistingInstallation:  CommonAppDataFolder: "C:\ProgramData\"
DetectExistingInstallation:  LogonUser: "[redacted]"
DetectExistingInstallation:  Error 0x0: recursive_directory_iterator: recursive_directory_iterator::operator++: The system cannot find the path specified.
 (0x90f7f370)
CustomAction SetupDll_DetectExistingInstallation returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 9.40.29: SetupDll_DetectExistingInstallation. Return value 3.
Action ended 9.40.29: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 618  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    RamB,
    When the error "DetectExistingInstallation:  Error 0x0: recursive_directory_iterator: recursive_directory_iterator::operator++: The system cannot find the path specified." appears in the installation log
    it means that there is some specific access rights lock to access the "C:\ProgramData\" folder, typical to an installation on a workstation which has some group policy.

I suggest performing an installation via the command line to use the command line property PREVIOUSVERSION_PROGRAMDATAPATH so to work around this situation.

If the MSI package is located on the desktop, run the following command line from a command prompt which must has been started with administrator rights:
    start /wait msiexec /quiet /i "%userprofile%\Desktop\SecuExtender_IPSec_VPN_Client.msi" /L*V! "%userprofile%\Desktop\install.log" PREVIOUSVERSION_PROGRAMDATAPATH="C:\ProgramData\Zyxel\ZyWALL IPSec VPN Client"

Of course, you will have to edit the path for the /i parameter based on the location of the MSI package.

If the problem still exists, please provide the installation log file "install.log" generated during the installation.(please use .txt or private message). This log file will be available on the desktop. Please do not edit the generated file.

James

All Replies

• Zyxel_James
    Options
    RamB,
    Please refer to Microsoft troubleshooting articles
    MSI: Configuration Manager Client is not installed

And according to your msi.log, I assume you encounter the issue with the first article. The previously failed installation left behind an IPI installer file (.ipi) in the %systemroot%\installer directory on the target computer.
    Please refer to the solution: Search for *.ipi files and move them to a different folder.

Moreover, please try to install SecuExtender with administrator privileges, thank you.

James
  • RamB
    First Comment
    Options
    I have tried the Microsoft troubleshooting guides. The error still seems to be the same after trying the solutions provided there.  

As it says in the below logs, the issue is that a specific path or file is being looked up by the installer and fails after that. The Error code 1603 seems to be a high level code not the actual happening inside the CustomAction in the installer. 

DetectExistingInstallation:  CommonAppDataFolder: "C:\ProgramData\"
    DetectExistingInstallation:  LogonUser: "[redacted]"
    DetectExistingInstallation:  Error 0x0: recursive_directory_iterator: recursive_directory_iterator::operator++: The system cannot find the path specified.
     (0x90f7f370)
    CustomAction SetupDll_DetectExistingInstallation returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Note that: I don't have trouble installing or uninstalling the older SecuExtender version 3.8.204.61.32. It is only in the newer version.
  • Zyxel_James
    Options
    Hello @RamB,
    Thanks for your feedback. We're working on it, please wait for my update.
    I will get back to you if there is any progress or need anything, thanks.

James
  • Zyxel_James
    Answer ✓
    Options
    RamB,
    When the error "DetectExistingInstallation:  Error 0x0: recursive_directory_iterator: recursive_directory_iterator::operator++: The system cannot find the path specified." appears in the installation log
    it means that there is some specific access rights lock to access the "C:\ProgramData\" folder, typical to an installation on a workstation which has some group policy.

I suggest performing an installation via the command line to use the command line property PREVIOUSVERSION_PROGRAMDATAPATH so to work around this situation.

If the MSI package is located on the desktop, run the following command line from a command prompt which must has been started with administrator rights:
    start /wait msiexec /quiet /i "%userprofile%\Desktop\SecuExtender_IPSec_VPN_Client.msi" /L*V! "%userprofile%\Desktop\install.log" PREVIOUSVERSION_PROGRAMDATAPATH="C:\ProgramData\Zyxel\ZyWALL IPSec VPN Client"

Of course, you will have to edit the path for the /i parameter based on the location of the MSI package.

If the problem still exists, please provide the installation log file "install.log" generated during the installation.(please use .txt or private message). This log file will be available on the desktop. Please do not edit the generated file.

James
  • RamB
    First Comment
    Options
    Hi James, 
    Running the installation by setting PREVIOUSVERSION_PROGRAMDATAPATH from the command line resolved the situation. 

I got the client installed successfully now. 

Thanks.

Security Highlight