GS1900-48 stops to exchanging data and I am forced to reset it

Options
sdesan
sdesan Posts: 6
Friend Collector First Comment
Hi,
every 4/6 days mine GS1900-48 stops to exchanging data and I am forced to reset it. In my network there are 20 pc and many of these are used remotely or via Anydesk or via Microsoft Remote Desktop on a VPN connection managed by a Microsoft Server 2012.
In GS1900-48 logs i can't find nothing except Port xx link up or down. No error, no alert, no emerg... nothing.
Almost all PCs ask a server on the network every 20 minutes to issue or confirm the license code of the software in use
So it's possible an hardware problem (the switch  is only 3 months old)?
It's possible that VPN network packets or Desktop Remote network packets can block traffic on the switch?
It's possible a software poblem connected to license server on the network?
Is there software that can analyze any abnormal network packets?
Is there any test i can do?
Thanks in advance
Sergio De Santis

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,302  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Dead on Arrival (or close) is quite uncommon but anyway always possible.
    It is updated the firmware?
    The switch is three months old. Which was the previous switch? it was already 1GBPs port?
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,655  Zyxel Employee
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hi @sdesan,

Welcome to the Zyxel community!

First, this is more likely not a hardware issue since you said it was solved by resetting the switch.
    If the switch has a hardware issue, it could not be recovered by resetting the switch.

May I know how did you determine your GS1900-48 stops exchanging data? Did you try to ping the switch but get a failure result? If you did not try, you can use a directly connected PC to ping your switch, your gateway, and the Internet to determine if your GS1900-48 stops exchanging data or not.

Also, did you check your firewall? Are there any deny logs in the event log?

In addition, GS1900 don't have ACL to block VPN network packets or Desktop Remote network packets. And if you want to analyze the packets, you can use Wireshark to check.

Zyxel Melen

• sdesan
    Options
    mMontana said:
    Dead on Arrival (or close) is quite uncommon but anyway always possible.
    It is updated the firmware?
    The switch is three months old. Which was the previous switch? it was already 1GBPs port?
    Thank you for the answer
    ->It is updated the firmware? Yes V2.70(AAHN.3)  
    ->Which was the previous switch? Dell PowerConnet 2800 (actually used in other lan without problem. Even this sometime stopped to work and i have to reset, so i choose GS1900 becouse is managed and probably more efficient)
    ->
    it was already 1GBPs port? Yes
  • sdesan
    Options
    Hi @sdesan,

First, this is more likely not a hardware issue since you said it was solved by resetting the switch.
    If the switch has a hardware issue, it could not be recovered by resetting the switch.

May I know how did you determine your GS1900-48 stops exchanging data? Did you try to ping the switch but get a failure result? 
    If you did not try, you can use a directly connected PC to ping your switch, your gateway, and the Internet to determine if your GS1900-48 stops exchanging data or not.

In addition, GS1900 don't have ACL to block VPN network packets or Desktop Remote network packets. And if you want to analyze the packets, you can use Wireshark to check.
    Hi @sdesan,

May I know how did you determine your GS1900-48 stops exchanging data? Did you try to ping the switch but get a failure result? 
    If you did not try, you can use a directly connected PC to ping your switch, your gateway, and the Internet to determine if your GS1900-48 stops exchanging data or not.

Thank you for the answer
     -> Did you try to ping the switch but get a failure result?     Yes, all network traffic stops from any pc to any pc
    -> 
    If you did not try, you can use a directly connected PC to ping your switch, your gateway, and the Internet to determine if your GS1900-48 stops exchanging data or not.    If i connect to a pc in lan directly from internet i have no problem but i can't ping the switch and any pc connected to the switch. If i reset switch all go on.
    -> 
    Also, did you check your firewall? No firewall
    -> 
    Are there any deny logs in the event log?     No just some port xx up or down
    Actually i'm using PRTG for test LAN, today i try to install also Wireshark
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @sdesan,

Could you PM me the tech support of your GS1900-48?
    I would like to verify the configuration and event logs.
    Please go to Menu > Maintenance > Configuration > Backup to collect tech support.
    Also, I need your topology for clear verification. Thanks.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @sdesan,

According to your tech support, I found you are still using V2.70(AAHN.0). Please use V2.70(AAHN.3) and verify if the issue remains or not. Thanks. 

Zyxel Melen

• sdesan
    Options
    Hi @sdesan,

According to your tech support, I found you are still using V2.70(AAHN.0). Please use V2.70(AAHN.3) and verify if the issue remains or not. Thanks. 
    Thank you for the answer.
    I see it and i update again firmware. Now i see in panel V2.70(AAHN.3) | 07/26/2022
    I'm waiting for events
    Ssomeone told me that the block maybe sometimes happens when you start very large data transfers> 1 Gb but I don't know if it's a coincidence
  • sdesan
    Options
    Hi @sdesan,

if you want to analyze the packets, you can use Wireshark to check.
    Hi Melen, i have activated Mirror of all port to Port 16 where is connected a PC with Wireshark installed

and i 'm capturing all traffic for any future checks. But even in the absence of switch blocks, is there anything in particular to check immediately with Wireshark?

Another curiosity: I replaced a Linksys WRT54GL v 1.1, used as a router to the internet, with a TP-Link Archer C6 V3 Gigabit and the data transfer speed between the various PCs on the network connected to the GS1800 has improved significantly from 10/14 MBps at 100/110 MBps: is it possible that it was the Linksys that created problems with the switch so much that it led to the block and the need to reset it?

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,302  Guru Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Few questions to rule out some meaningful info (IMVHO)

• The router replacement was simultaneous with the firmware uprade?
    • WRT54GL as far as i found has 10/100mbps ports.
      There was any other device connected to the router, other than the GS1900-48?
      Was this device involved in any way for transfers test?
    • Was the WRT54GL-connected port of GS1900-48 correctly configured (100mbps, full duplex)?
    • Was replaced part or totally the cable(s) between WRT54GL and GS1900-48?
    as usual behavior for switches, different ethernet negotiation among ports should not create issues with operations of the devices connected: the limit for the switch are usually the total switching capability when put under load. However, switches and routers runs softwares: therefore, sometimes something that's not perfect on one side or the other can lead to strange and unexplained behaviors.

One last thing: not all recent (5-10 years) ethernet chips can handle perfectly 10Mpbs; I had issues between an HPE 48port switch which needed a unmanaged 5 port switch for reliable dialog with 10Mbps-only capable old Lantronix XPort. The behavior had was simply signaling the port disconnected and unplug-replug the cable allowed 72 to 96 hours of correct operations. After the installation of the unmanaged 10/100 switch, the continuated operation raised to 160-180 days. Never had a chance to understand if with newer firmwares the issues was solved.
  • sdesan
    Options
    The router replacement was simultaneous with the firmware uprade?  ->  no, the day after. The replacement was already planned to improve the wifi coverage

There was any other device connected to the router, other than the GS1900-48?-> No switch to Linksys lan port and Internet to Linksys Wan port

Was this device involved in any way for transfers test? -> No, transfer only true GS1900

Was the WRT54GL-connected port of GS1900-48 correctly configured (100mbps, full duplex)? -> just connected, no port configuration on the switch

Was replaced part or totally the cable(s) between WRT54GL and GS1900-48? -> No, same cable

Sometimes something that's not perfect on one side or the other can lead to strange and unexplained behaviors -> my fiber connection provider (to whom I recently asked if he had ever had switch blocking problems) told me that sometimes he is forced to insert a small 5 port gigabit switch (Zyxel or TpLInk) between the FRITZ! Box 5530 Fiber and the already existing network switch, This was one of the reasons why I also decided to replace the linksys and I begin to suspect that the problem of the switch block in all these years may be linked to an incompatibility or occasional Linksys malfunction

Never had a chance to understand if with newer firmwares the issues was solved. -> :-(

Thank you for all. I'm waintg for next crush event, hoping there isn't