Mismatch in port numbering with snmp on GS1920

Options
Hi everybody,

I'm monitoring my switches (GS1920-24HP and 48HP) in Observium or in Switchmap but there's a mismatch in the port numbering.
The numbering begins by "0", thus if port #5 is in vlan 200, it's shown that it's port #4 who is is that vlan in observium.
Has anyone experienced this problem ? Any suggestions to fix it ?

Thanks.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 662  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    @Millbull,
    Could you share your OID number and may I know what is your mib software?
    Chris
  • Millbull
    Options
    Hi Chris, I'm using Observium and Switchmap to monitor my switches.
    For the OID, I'm not very sure about what you're asking so I've export this 2 files with a snmp browser. Is that you're asking for ?

Best regards.
    Freddy

• Zyxel_Chris
    Options
    @Millbull
    Based on the oid you have provided it will polling the object with "ifDescr" which has been defined as display string (4 - octets) 

If you want to polling the interface port number then should use the oid with "ifIndex".

Chris
  • Millbull
    Options
    Where shall I have to configure this setup ? In the monitoring software ?

Regards.
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Options
    @millbull,
    I'm not familiar with Observium of Switchmap, but based on the attached you have provided should use the OID/symbolic name witch has end with xxxxx.ifIndex and the type should be integer.
    Chris
  • Millbull
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    Observium and Switchmap are 2 different monitoring softwares.
    Since the problem appears on these 2 softwares, is there any way to make a change directly into the switches ?
    Regards
  • Millbull
    Options
    Just to mention, the problem doesn't appear with the Cisco and HP switches, only with the Zyxel.
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Options

Hi @Millbull

Let me explain these 2 OID objects, they are both defined by RFC in RFC1213-MIB.

The definition of ifDescr is "A textual string containing information about the Interface…" It does not stipulate it must use port number. However, ifIndex has defined "A unique value for each interface. Its value ranges between 1 and the value of ifNumber…”, which we have to follow up it.

The different vendor has a different way to handle this, some of them choose ifDescr as their port number and some use ifIndex, hope you can understand.

Chris
  • Millbull
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer. I will try to solve my problem with these informations.

Regards.
    Freddy