GS1920-24HPv2 - Configuration due to "Saving Power"

bandchef
bandchef Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Hello, is there any option for GS1920-24HPv2 to saving power? I have connect 4 Devices which uses the POE function.
Is there any option or configuration for the switch to save energy?

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    EEE or Green Ethernet enabled on unused ports. Should disable them and save some energy.
    Consider that a PoE switch is acting as:
    power adapter for the switch
    switch
    power adapter for devices connected
    so higher power consumption is not that unusual.
    Also, the longer the ethernet cables, bigger are the inefficiencies due to voltage drop.
  • bandchef
    bandchef Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    edited November 2022
    Thanks for your answer. Where do I find the switch for disabling EEE/Green Ethernet for unused ports? What could happen if I activate EEE/Green Ethernet on an used port?

In a knowledge base articel direct vom Zyxel I have read, that the switch with inactive POE Clients 14,46W needs (link). Am I right if I add the power consumption of active POE clients (which can be read in Basic Settings -> POE Setup -> ) to this 14,46W that I get the approximately complete power consumption of the switch?
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    bandchef said:
    Thanks for your answer. Where do I find the switch for disabling EEE/Green Ethernet for unused ports? What could happen if I activate EEE/Green Ethernet on an used port?

Both answers migth be found on the manual.
    However, is suggest you also to look for the manual and specifications of the devices connected on used ports, for having statement from the manufacturer that devices supports (or not) EEE or Green Ethernet. If you enable the settings and the connected devices won't support it, might happen that the link fall or have erratic behavior at reboot.
    bandchef said:
    In a knowledge base article of Zyxel I have read, that the switch with inactive POE Clients 14,46W needs (link). Am I right if I add the power consumption of active POE clients (which can be read in Basic Settings -> POE Setup -> ) to this 14,46W that I get the approximately complete power consumption of the switch?
    You should consider also the efficiency of the supplied power adapter (might be internal or external), and consumption might be slightly different as from the voltages within the range of "230V/50hz" convention. And this is about the mere electrical part on AC. On DC side, PoE devices and ports talks about budget, therefore the consumption is expected to be different during boot, upgrade, maximum resource usage (for an IP phone while ringing or using video conference, for an Access Point while transmitting data to a far endpoint, for a PoE powered switch while using full switching capacity). Consider the same for the switch itself. And don't forget the extra power-draw due to eventual SFP+ adapters.
    Beside by my picky considerations about how the power is used by the PoE switches and connected devices, being pessimistic and considering, for autonomy calculation on UPS, the worst possible scenario (full power budget + switch consumption + 10%) might seem non wise, but might help to create some "fat" to gain extra minutes. As specs sheet on Zyxel site, max power draw for 24 port device is 464w.
    For the sack of pure money saving, IMHO is far more effective scheduling the ports shutdown of unnecessary devices during specific hours (for instance, if the WLAN is not needed from 23:00 and 06:00 you can tell the switch to shut down the PoE powered device); however, the total consumption for 48 port device is higher but not that much (475w) because the power budget is the same (375w). Mileage may vary in spectacular way.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,593  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @bandchef,

In addition, enabling EEE function on using ports might cause port speed to decrease. 
    Like 1G down to 100 M.

Zyxel Melen