UDP Flood issue (Zywall USG 100)

follet
follet Posts: 32  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Hello. Today internet works slow. I noticed, that CPU overload (98%) and the Active session list is full too.

I visited log and saw a lot of ADP records:
from Any to ZyWALL, [type=Flood-Detection(8910002)] UDP Flood UDP Flood Action: Block Severity: medium <FLOOD IP:PORT> <MY EXTERNAL IP> ACCESS BLOCK

In the ADP profile I turned logging off and decreased the threshold from 1000 to 500:

In the Firewall menu, I turned on Session limit for 300 second and 50 Sessions per Host In the Session control tab:

But unfortunately, the session pool didn't decrease and the CPU still overload too. Now in the log menu I have list of blocked IP addresses:

What is your suggestion? How to refuse or refuse or stop this attack?

Accepted Solution

• follet
    Answer ✓
    I solved this issue!!!
    I appreciate your help and suggestions!

I just turned ON the checkbox "Firewall" thus, port 53 closed automatically, and the active session pool became in a normal state!

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited November 2022
    Short UDP Sessions to 30 seconds as a test.
    Which destination ports are involved? You obscured the destination IP, maybe the "bogey" it's inside that IP address?
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    edited November 2022
    set Sessions per Host to 0
    also disable UDP flood 

If your truly being DDoS not much you can do about it...I would hope the USG makes way for LAN to WAN sessions.
  • follet
    mMontana said:
    Short UDP Sessions to 30 seconds as a test.
    Which destination ports are involved? You obscured the destination IP, maybe the "bogey" it's inside that IP address?
    Thank you for your answer:
    The source port is 53, involving just 2 destination IPs: it is my external IP that provided me 2 ISP providers. I decided to hide it for security reasons.
  • follet
    PeterUK said:
    set Sessions per Host to 0
    also disable UDP flood 

If your truly being DDoS not much you can do about it...I would hope the USG makes way for LAN to WAN sessions.
    I logged in my ZyWall and saw 50% of active sessions and 95% CPU.
    When I Disabled UDP flood and set Sessions per Host to 0 - The session become increasing to 70%.
    I enforced to set up previous settings like on screenshot.
  • Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 606  Zyxel Employee

follet,
    What is your suggestion? How to refuse or refuse or stop this attack?
    Actually, the ADP feature already blocks the attack for you, but as @PeterUK said, it's not much we can do to stop it if you're attacked by UDP flood.

James
  • follet

Actually, the ADP feature already blocks the attack for you, but as @PeterUK said, it's not much we can do to stop it if you're attacked by UDP flood.
    Thank you for your answer. Also, I wonder about ADP policies. I have 5 rules, maybe I can optimize it?

• follet
    Also, I see 53 port of both ISP IPs under attack.

I tested my external IP via site: https://www.openresolver.nl/ and it wrote "good" - No open resolver on IPv4 result.

Maybe I should check 53 port settings?

• follet
    Also as an additional feature I set up firewall to drop UDP DNS (53 port) due to this article: https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/9768/abnormal-udp-traffic-detected-source-port-is-zero-drop-port53 but it doesn't release active session pool...
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    edited November 2022
    If your sure its from or to a given port (or by IP) and its low bandwidth you could put a managed switch in front of the USG and drop packets by ACL
  • follet
    edited November 2022
    Oh no... I check 53 port is open, OMG! Using this service: https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
    But I can't see this record in my firewall rules...
    I see two rules that block DNS_UDP and DNS_TCP ports.

How to close 53 port?

Security Highlight