Strange issue with NWA210AX

mist
mist Posts: 20  Freshman Member
10 Comments
I created 3 SSID: A1, A10, A20 with VLAN ID 1, 10, 20. I use pfsense sg-3100. I configured a trunk port with tags 1, 10, 20 on pfsense and NWA210AX uplink is connected to that port. The AP management VLAN ID is 1.

When I connect to A10 or A20  SSID, my MAC cannot obtain IP address. When I try Windows, it gets IP address but cannot connect to DNS. I see DHCP leases in both cases. I tried capturing packets in pfsense and I see DHCP communication, but it seems that response does not reach MAC or Windows.

Now, when I connect to A1 SSID, both MAC and Windows start working right away. AND if I switch to A10 or A20 immediately, they also work and computers get appropriate IP addresses. However, after I connect computer to a different WiFi, it cannot connect to A10 or A20 until I connect it to A1 first.

I tried setting trunk port for tag 1 tagged and untagged changing the management VLAN configuration on NWA210AX with the same result.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

All Replies

• mist
    10 Comments
    It seems that I resolved the issue by moving management VLAN ID from 1 to 10. Not sure how that  helped. Maybe a conflict with PVID 1 that I think is set on lan1?
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 435  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @mist

Yes, because the AP management vlan 1 default is untag and your SSID1 will be the same.

The traffic foes up into switch will be dropped if the setting is tagged there.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• mist
    10 Comments
    I tried setting it "tagged" and "untagged" on both AP and sg-3100 switch. It did not make any difference. I don't think packets were dropped. It looked like maybe ARP issue. Another strange thing was that both Windows and Mac would start working after several minutes. 

BTW, running show arp-table only shows MAC addresses associated with management LAN tag. Is it normal?
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 435  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @mist

If your settings are same on both switch and AP then it will be workable, just ensure both side with the same tag behavior.

Yes, the command show arp-table on AP only displays the devices in the same subnet.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella