Application specific BWM in Flex 100

Options
kelmi
kelmi Posts: 29  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Hello,

Is it possible to define traffic priorities (mainly) and/or bandwidth for specific Apps Patrol -identified applications? It seems to be so that BWM policy is possible to be done only for pre-defined Application Groups?

K

All Replies

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 618  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hello @kelmi,
    Yes, in BWM policy, we only can select the pre-defined applications as the Service Type.

James
  • kelmi
    Options
    Hello @kelmi,
    Yes, in BWM policy, we only can select the pre-defined applications as the Service Type.

James
    Thank's for the answer,

This seems to be a difference between Flex 100 and USG40. Is there any plans to use BWM for all the selected apps, what can be found with Application Patrol? I think, use case is evident in an environment, where e.g online gaming and corporate apps are used within the same WAN. 

Regards
    K

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,770  Guru Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

You can use WILDCARD FQDN in BWM like *googlevideo.com or *ttvnw.net

The USG can't truly know what APP your running which is where this idea can help.
    Virtual firewall link to USG/Zywall/VPN — Zyxel Community

• kelmi
    Options
    PeterUK said:

You can use WILDCARD FQDN in BWM like *googlevideo.com or *ttvnw.net

The USG can't truly know what APP your running which is where this idea can help.
    Virtual firewall link to USG/Zywall/VPN — Zyxel Community

Thank's for the hint,

Could you please elaborate a little more what do you mean USG can't truly know what APP is running? I thought deep packet inspection with fingerprints from the cloud are for that purpose?

Regards
    K

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,770  Guru Member
    Options

Theirs only so much deep packet inspection can do like know the ports a app uses or IP's and look in SSL/TLS to know the web site your going to but to really know what App the client is using not so much.

My was would have a APP on the client device relying to the Zywall what to allow allow/drop a bit like TCPView but not a firewall as that done by Zywall then you can add BWM rules for app run by the client.

• Zyxel_James
    Options
    Hello @kelmi,
    Yes, ZLD V5.XX is application-based bandwidth is different than ZLD V4.XX which is application-object-based.
    May I know which application you want to implement BWM? Could you query the application in the app patrol profile?

James
  • kelmi
    Options
    Hello @kelmi,
    Yes, ZLD V5.XX is application-based bandwidth is different than ZLD V4.XX which is application-object-based.
    May I know which application you want to implement BWM? Could you query the application in the app patrol profile?

James
    Hello,

Yes, I can find the couple games, I would like to make a BWM rule from the Apps Patrol query list. How does it help here?

Regards
    K

• Zyxel_James
    Options
    The current design of the application group in the BWM profile will remain unchanged.
    Could you please let us know which specific applications you are interested in applying for BWM? We will review the requested category for adding to the application group, thanks

James
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    Options
    @Zyxel_James consider than any casting, meeting, conferencing and video-call application is a bandwidth hog.
    Identify the most used one (starting from Zoom, following with Microsoft Teams, Google Meet, Jitsi, Whatsapp, Telegram, Skype, Discord) and adding the most used casting apps (OBS, Streamyard, Streamlabs) could be a gamechanger for the management.

Security Highlight