USG FLEX 500 no connection to WiFi if security profile is WPA2

RiKa
RiKa Posts: 8
First Anniversary First Comment
edited February 2023 in WirelessLAN

USG FLEX 500

I have set up two SSIDs, both with VLAN.

If the security profile iss et to open I can connect.

But as soon as I enter a password, no matter whether WPA2 or WPA3, a connection to the network is not possible.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 913  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    I am now using a psk with a maximum of 15 characters with upper+lower case characters, digits and speacials.

I assume that the psk must not contain more than 15 characters... is that correct

@RiKa,

You can set the PSK with 8 to 63 ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal characters (0-9, A-F)

In case the clients can’t connect to SSID with the PSK more than 15 characters, you can provide us the diagnostic file of USG and AP for checking. Please collect the diagnostic immediately after the wifi connection fails.

Thank you! 

Judy

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @RiKa,

In case, there are more than one Security profile, you can go to Configuration > Object > AP Profile > SSID > SSID List & Security List to check whether use the correct security profile for the SSID profile.

Otherwise, recommend you change to the simple password, after that forget or delete the SSID profile on the client then reconnect again to check whether the issue come from the password typo.

If the issue still happens, please collect and provide the USG FLEX 500 and AP’s diagnostic file to us via the private message by clicking my account > Message.

The path to collect diagnostic file at Maintenance > Diagnostics > Diagnostics

Judy

• RiKa

Hi Zyxel_Judy

Thanks for taking on this issue

@ ...In case, there are more than one Security profile

I have created two profiles and there is still the default profile

@ ...check whether use the correct security profile for the SSID profile

I've tried that several times. I can connect to either of the two SSIDs but only if I select the default profile without a password.

I also tried a simple password e.g. 123456789plokij, but again without success.

And it doesn't matter if I type the password or paste it with drag and drop.

I also tried to change the default profile to WPA2 or WPA3 and assign a simple password. Unfortunately no success here either.

And I noticed something else that I don't understand.

I have a LIC-Gold Security Pack for the USG FLEX 500 which I have assigned. In the FLEX 500 under Licensing > Registration > Service I see all services as activated. But I can't find the Security WiFi license. This license is listed in the „My Zyxel Portal“ but has a red dot and is still tagged as activated.

Can this be related?

@ ...please collect and provide the USG FLEX 500 and AP’s diagnostic file

I will send you the diagnostic data as soon as they are completed

• Zyxel_Judy
    edited February 2023

Hi @RiKa,

I also tried to change the default profile to WPA2 or WPA3 and assign a simple password. Unfortunately no success here either.

Thank you for providing us the diagnostic info. The diagnostic info shows that there is problem with Security profile with your two SSIDs.

The diagnostic info wasn’t completed, so we’ve not known your USG FLEX 500 and AP’s current version, please check whether is the latest version. If not yet, please upgrade the USG FLEX 500 firmware to 5.35(ABUJ.0)C0 and your APs to the latest version as to check whether issue will be solved.

In case, the issue still happens after upgrading to the latest version, please collect the diagnostic file. The completed diagnostic file is a zip file look like this one.

In the FLEX 500 under Licensing > Registration > Service I see all services as activated. But I can't find the Security WiFi license. 

Regarding to the LIC-Gold Security Pack > Secure WiFi license issue, the reason lead to you can't find the Secure WiFi license is that at the present, your USG FLEX 500 still use the UTM Pack in 30-day trial period (expired at 2023-03-04), so your Gold Security Pack is still in Deferred. UTM Pack doesn’t include Secure WiFi license.

Before the Gold Security Pack actives, your USG FLEX 500 still can manage 8 APs. If you want USG FLEX to manage more than 8 APs, need to cancel the trail UTM Pack first. Please let us know your idea and then we can support you.

Judy

• RiKa

@ USG FLEX 500 firmware

The running firmware is V5.35(ABUJ.0)

@ APs to the latest version

The running firmware is V6.50(ABTE.0)

@ In case, the issue still happens

I think I could solve the problem.

I am now using a psk with a maximum of 15 characters with upper+lower case characters, digits and speacials.

I assume that the psk must not contain more than 15 characters... is that correct

@ Gold Security Pack > Please let us know your idea and then we can support you.

No, it is not necessary. I have two USG FLEX 500 with 4AP and max. 8AP

This should work until the Gold Security Pack is active

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓

@RiKa,

You can set the PSK with 8 to 63 ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal characters (0-9, A-F)

In case the clients can’t connect to SSID with the PSK more than 15 characters, you can provide us the diagnostic file of USG and AP for checking. Please collect the diagnostic immediately after the wifi connection fails.

Thank you! 

Judy

• RiKa

I was able to solve the problem. It was my fault as I had invalid characters in the WiFi password