DHCP doesn’t work through repeater/bridge communicating w/NWA210AX

I can't seem to figure out why any device counting directly to the NWA210AX gets an IP address, but anything connecting through a repeater/bridge does not. If I manually assign an IP, the device works fine. I don't think it's the DHCP server (pfSense) or the repeater/bridge because if I connect the repeater/bridge to a different access point (Netgear WAX206 to be specific), DHCP communication does work. I have also tried multiple repeaters/bridges

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 877  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2023

Hi @Straylight ,

Based on your description, it seems like the repeater/bridge is not Zyxel model. Note that the smart mesh is established and worked once there are two Zyxel AP at least.

Could you share with us the repeater/bridge model and your typology you’re using?

Judy

• Thank you for responding.

You are correct, I do not have a mesh setup. The NWA210AX is the only Zyxel in my configuration. It is set up as an access point near the router and cable modem. The repeaters and bridges are set up in my office (a Netgear WAX206 as a bridge), another in the garage (an Asus RT-AC68W - also bridge), and another Asus RT-AC68W in my son's room (repeater). None of the devices hooked up to the bridges/repeaters could get a DHCP address. They would, however, function fine if I manually assigned an IP address. Any devices connecting directly to the Zyxel do get DHCP addresses. When I hooked a Netgear WAX206 up to the router as an access point instead of the Zyxel NWA210AX, all the devices could get DHCP addresses. When I switched back to the Zyxel, they again could not.

An additional piece of information, the Zyxel has one of the radios configured as a guest network with a VLAN. pfSense handles routing that traffic only to the internet. However, the DHCP issues were there before I added that VLAN.

Thank you for your help.

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @Straylight ,

Thank for your information. From your description, we assume that your typology as below:

We found that there are several modes for Netgear WAX206 (AP mode/ Router mode) and Asus RT-AC68W (Wireless router mode/ Media Bridge/ Access point mode [WDS only/ HYBRID). Could you share with us which mode using for the typology above?

When I hooked a Netgear WAX206 up to the router as an access point instead of the Zyxel NWA210AX, all the devices could get DHCP addresses. 

We assume that your typology as below:

Could you share with us the client connect to the bridges/repeaters could get a DHCP address from which DHCP server? pfSense or Netgear WAX206 in router mode?

Judy

• We found that there are several modes for Netgear WAX206 (AP mode/ Router mode) and Asus RT-AC68W (Wireless router mode/ Media Bridge/ Access point mode [WDS only/ HYBRID). Could you share with us which mode using for the typology above?

The WAX206 (with the latest firmware) can also operate in media bridge mode and that is how I was using it in the above topology. One RT-AC68W was operating in media bridge mode, the other was operating as a repeater (with devices connected both wirelessly and via Ethernet).

Could you share with us the client connect to the bridges/repeaters could get a DHCP address from which DHCP server? pfSense or Netgear WAX206 in router mode?

The Netgear WAX206 was operating in access point mode, thus was used as a direct replacement for the Zyxel NWA210AX. The DHCP was still being handled by pfSense as before. With that topology, all devices hooked up through the repeaters and bridges would receive DHCP addresses. When I returned to the original topology with the Zyxel NWA210AX as an access point, the problem recurred. Any device connecting directly (via WiFi of course) to the NWA210AX could get DHCP addresses, any devices connecting through a bridge or repeater could not.

Thank you for your kind attention.

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @Straylight ,

Is your NWA210AX managed by Nebula cloud or in standalone mode?

In case NWA210AX is managed by Nebula cloud, please provide the org/ site name and enable customer’s Zyxel support by going to the left sidebar > Help > Support request > Invite Zyxel support as administrator, save the changes for us to check.

In case NWA210AX is in the standalone mode, please provide a remote session.

Is it possible to have a remote session? Please tell us the time if possible. When we check the issue, please help to let a client connect to the SSID.

The information can be sent via private message by clicking to my account > Message.

Judy