USG Flex 100 W Built-in AP: not comply with the config

Options
mMontana
mMontana Posts: 1,325  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Configuration for USG Flex 100 created via conversion (here the topic), from USG 60W.

Connected via LAN, a NWA-5123-AC is also in the network.

Both APs (built-in and NWA-5123AC are managed via Wireless management option.

and both APs deliver the configured SSIDs

Bx:xx:xx /channel 11 is NWA-5123AC, Dx:xx:xx/channel 1 is the built in AP, firmware is latest available (WK12 for USG Flex 100W).

All SSIDs are WPA2-personal PreSharedKeys. There is only 1 group, both APs are member

Radio 1 deploy Radio profile 2.4Ghz, 802.11n.
Radio 2 deploy RAdio profile 5.0Ghz, 801.11ac.

NWA-5123AC works flawleslly. Built-in AP do not recognize the inserted password, which is the same for both APs and on every SSID. (SSID1 have the same password on both APs, SSID2 have the same password on both APs but different from the one, and so on).

What I am doing wrong?

All Replies

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 135  Ally Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

So, is your sceniaro enabling both built-in AP and controller on Flex100W at the same time?

For old USG series, since version 4.X, it can't enable both features at the same time.

The same applies to ATP/FLEX.

• mMontana
    Options

I may be wrong but… was allowed by configuration (not saying "you can't use Built in AP as managed AP by AP Manager) and the same seems allowed on USG Flex 100 W with Firmware 5.35WK12.

However… worked with USG60W, currently not complying (network SSIDs are broadcasted as intended, but PSK is not accepted by the builtin AP).

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 776  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @mMontana ,

Greeting Forum.

Since FlexW, the settings for built-in AP and thin APs have been separated, you will find that built-in AP cannot insert the same group settings as thin APs.

I'm sorry to have caused your trouble. Thank you

• mMontana
    Options

I found the separeted settings.

Still… Built-in AP can be managed via the AP Manager, and in some way it does, however not as expected.
    The experience i had is a Interface bug (interface let me do things that i cannot in fact) or a behaviour bug (the Built In AP do not comply as expected due to issues into the firmware?)

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Options

Hi @mMontana

If you have the new Flexw, you will find that you cannot use the built-in feature when running in APC mode as the two are mutually exclusive. (You need to use a command to display it in the GUI, but please kindly note that the settings are still separate.)

I guess that because the start-up was from conversion, so it appeared in the GUI, so I apologize for the confusion it may have caused.

• mMontana
    edited April 2023
    Options

I am really sorry… this image tell me that Built-in AP can be configured as part of AP group. I can move back an forth from have the AP part of AP Management or configured separately. My wish is to have centrally managed APs from the firewalls obeying only the AP manager.

So this tell me: I can use the built-in AP as part of managed APs from USG Flex 100W AP management feature. If this is wrong, solve the issue in the firmware.

Now. Using Built-in AP as member of an AP group, the built-in AP don't comply with settings. Why?

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Options

Hi @mMontana ,

The meaning of this statement is that "The built-in AP currently adopts the old USG60w management/setting options, so the following settings won't be applied. If you want to use the following settings, you have to click "apply setting' to apply them.

As mentioned, the mgmt interface for built-in AP is different for FlexW,which mean you need to reset the built-in AP and discard the settings which transferred from USG60w.

Sorry for the confusion. Thank you

• mMontana
    Options

Thanks so much for the explaination. My bad, I totally misunderstood.

• elkrust
    elkrust Posts: 24  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Hi mMontana, did you every get this resolved to your satisfaction? I am now experiencing similar problems following a config conversion from a USG 40w to a Flex100w. It would appear that the AP Controller is dominant and I can't revert back to the built-in AP.

Thanks

• mMontana
    Options

I did not. So I hacked up, reconfiguring the local AP matching the info of the AP controller.

It worked, so never occurred to me a request from customer to "solve"

Security Highlight