resetting my NWA210AX wap seems to have bricked it

Options

Hi, I was trying to connect to my NWA210AX WAP at home and could not find its IP address or any traffic associated to its MAC address, so I tried a factory reset so that I could assign it a fixed IP. However, as soon as I applied the reset the device stopped working. A Zyxel-XXXX network does appear on my SSID list, but I cannot connect to it or reach http://1.1.1.1. The light in the front of the device toggles between amber and green, about once per second. Device is connected to my wired router (which is working just fine). Is there something I'm missing here?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 970  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 2023
    Options

HI @rodrigo ,

Assuming that the AP still does not have an IP address after the factory reset, we suggest checking the router's DHCP server settings to allow the AP to obtain an IP address. Once this is done, try connecting to the Zyxel-XXXX SSID and accessing the AP by browsing to 1.1.1.1.

Alternatively, if the AP still does not have an IP address, you can try accessing AP via 192.168.1.2. Please ensure that your computer's AP address is in the range between192.168.1.3 and192.168.1.254.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• rodrigo
    rodrigo Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Options

I already have tried these things, but they did not work. Connecting the AP to the router turns on the Zyxel-XXXX SSID, and I was finally able to connect to it. However, while the AP forwarded traffic to the router and outside world, I was still not able to reach the AP itself — via 1.1.1.1 (since it would reach cloudfare), 192.168.1.2, or 192.162.230.2 (the router's DHCP range is 192.168.230.0/24) — to change the SSID settings. When not plugged into the router, trying to reach 1.1.1.1 would still not work: it would obviously not reach cloudfare, but it would stall and say that the address was unreachable.

• rodrigo
    First Comment
    Options

BTW, ARP and nmap scans of 192.168.0.0/16 will occasionally show something in 192.168.230.2, but the MAC address of these hits was never resolved. I did get a curious hit at 192.168.1.22, which brought me to a Ingitenet Metrolinq login page. Still not sure what device that corresponded to

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @rodrigo ,

We found that your NWA210AX is resgistered on the Nebula with the org/site as Casa/ Casa. In case you'd like to change the SSID settings, please go to Nebula > Configure > WiFi SSID Setting or Nebula > Configure > Access point > SSID advanced settings.

Note that, in case the AP is registered on Nebula, there are some functions on local GUI only. To implement all configurations, please go to Nebula.

Related to your local GUI login,

However, while the AP forwarded traffic to the router and outside world, I was still not able to reach the AP itself — via 1.1.1.1 (since it would reach cloudfare)

It seems like there is the cache in your browser, so recommend openning InPrivate window or delete the cache, and then try again.

When not plugged into the router, trying to reach 1.1.1.1 would still not work: it would obviously not reach cloudfare, but it would stall and say that the address was unreachable.

When not plugged the AP into the router, you just can access the AP via 192.168.1.2 after you reset the AP and set the computer IP address manually in the range between192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.254.

• rodrigo
    First Comment
    Options

I tried the Nebula registration as a hail Mary to revive the AP. If you check further you'll see that the registration was made with the MAC and serial number, but that it never actually connected to any off-site servers. I'll try the manual route now that I have a minute

• rodrigo
    First Comment
    Options

Again, tried the 192.168.1.0/24 address, but no dice. The result from running "arp -a" is

? (192.168.1.2) at <incomplete> on wlp170s0

So there's something there, but there are no open ports and pings fail with "Destination Host Unreachable"

• Zyxel_Judy
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @rodrigo ,

Again, tried the 192.168.1.0/24 address, but no dice. The result from running "arp -a" is

? (192.168.1.2) at <incomplete> on wlp170s0

So there's something there, but there are no open ports and pings fail with "Destination Host Unreachable"

It seems like your computer IP address isn’t in the same subnet as the NWA210AX’s or your computer’s wired cable isn’t connected to the AP’s uplink port or your computer isn’t connected to Zyxel-XXXX SSID.

To support you troubleshoot and solve this issue, please help to follow the steps below.

1/ Go to Nebula > License and inventory > choose your NWA210AX > click Action > choose Remove from organization

2/ Unplug the AP from the router, just supply power via the adapter.

3/ Factory reset the AP

4/ Use an Ethernet cable to connect your computer to the UPLINK port of the AP or connect your computer to Zyxel-XXXX (default SSID)

5/ Set your computer a static IP in range from 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254

6/ Browse 192.168.1.2 to access your NWX210AX