Flex 200: Use SFP with VLAN

Options
novasune
novasune Posts: 11
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment

How can i used the SFP port on a Flex200 to run vlans thru, just like any other LAN port ?

I can configure the port to act as an internal lan port with IP etc, and assign it to zone "LAN1" but that wont do the job since this is firewall related. That network is available on the remote switch, but cant run vlans thru it.

In VLAN configuration, i can set the baseport, either to LAN1 OR(!) or SFP. That works, but that means i cant run same vlan on Switch 1 and 2 (picture)

In the port role setup, i miss the option to put P1(SFP) to LAN 1 (picture)

Setup (simplified)
FLEX200:
Switch1 Connected with ethernet to P4(Lan1) on flex.
Switch2 Connected to SFP thru transceiver (P1 on flex)
Native lan 192.168.1.0 not used
VLAN77 (baseport Lan1)
VLAN88 (baseport Lan1)

I can only find bad solutions such as
A) Install a new switch to act as ethernet-fiber converter ner flex200.
B) Run a cable from switch 2 to and change topology ,so i can assign all VLANS to baseport SFP.

C) Make a bridge, but not sure if this is a horrible idea , i dont seem to be able to assign a VLAN to a bridge as baseport.

Are there a better way to do it?

Accepted Solution

• novasune
    Answer ✓
    Options

Actual problem solved by connecting switch1 &2 , so only 1 switch goes thru the SFP port, avoiding problem that a VLAN cant be assigned to SFP and Lan1 baseport at same time.
    Unsure if SFP was meant to be used internally or only as WAN.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,758  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2023
    Options

You could see if you can hack it in the config then apply it

!
    port-grouping lan1
    port 1
    port 4
    port 5
    port 6
    port 7
    !

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,074  Zyxel Employee
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @novasune

Thanks for your inquiry. Could you share why you would like to configure VLAN on the SFP port? What is your main purpose? Could you share your current cabling topology diagram? If you can describe more about your motivation for us that would be more helpful to us to realize your situation. Thanks.

• novasune
    Options

That might work, but i am really afraid to do so. A future firmware update might thrash it, and if we move it to nebula management, it will probably break too. It will cost my night sleep to i have such a fragile setup going, it is an important site. For a less critical situation, i would try it. Unfortunately i dont have a spare flex with sfp port, so i cant do a workbench test . Thans for suggestion though.

• novasune
    edited May 2023
    Options

I want to run VLANs thru the sfp port, because i want to connect it to a switch (GS1920)where i want to access the various vlans present in the flex200. Just as i do to another GS1920, just by using LAN/P4 port thru RJ45 ethernet.
    I have an "office77 vlan" and "production78 vlan" (simplified) ,i need to have both present on both switches.

The actual topology is a bit complex, but to keep it simple, we can pretend i have 1*usgflex200, and 2 switches. SwitchA connected to P4/Lan1 (this works fine). Switch2 connected to sfp on fiber (because of distance)

• novasune
    Answer ✓
    Options

Actual problem solved by connecting switch1 &2 , so only 1 switch goes thru the SFP port, avoiding problem that a VLAN cant be assigned to SFP and Lan1 baseport at same time.
    Unsure if SFP was meant to be used internally or only as WAN.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,758  Guru Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I don't think you have solved it… If your goal was to have subnet LAN1 on SFP ports 4-7 then if you unplug 4-7 with just the SFP connected you would get subnet LAN1 which you will not

• novasune
    Options

My goal is to get VLAN77 & 88 present on the SFP port, while also present on P4 port.
    I dont need the "physical Lan1 192.168.1.0 " anywhere, everything runs on vlan .
    Problem is that sfp cant be assigned to belong to same "Lan1" as P4-7,and each VLAN has to be assigned to either SFP or "Lan1" (se first two pictures)

Security Highlight