NWA50AX stops accepting stations...?

Options

Hi,

I got two NWA50AX APs, in standalone mode, running 6.29(ABYW.1)C0 with standalone config (no nebula), both running the same 3 SSIDs, all with WPA2-mix authentication and AES encryption.

After some uptime (multiple days), the one or other AP stops accepting stations trying to connect.

I can find neither logging about what's going wrong, nor is that a "high memory / high CPU issue" on the AP, it looks "relaxed".

Behaviour already existed with the previous firmware (6.25(ABYW.10)C0)

Any suggestions on how to debug?

Thank you!

All Replies

• MCal27
    MCal27 Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

I wish I could help! I have a similar amount of the same unit, though I am running them in Nebula and since a few days ago my (pretty simple) mesh setup has gone haywire! Any NWA50AX that is part of a mesh system randomly goes haywire, yet a single unit (in my office) that is only hardwired (but part of the same network, but a distance away so not using mesh) has been solid.

Something very strange with these units right now.

• hbrock
    hbrock Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

… adding a bit of information: for me it isn't mesh, but just 2 APs with direkt Ethernet connection. Only fancy thing about the setup is that the one SSID (guest) is mapped to a dedicated VLAN.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 490  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Dear @hbrock

Thank you for reaching out to the Zyxel community.

To investigate this further and pinpoint the root cause, we would appreciate it if you could provide some additional information:

1. Connection Details: You noted that the stations fail to connect to the APs. When this happens, can you provide more information about the error messages displayed on the station? For instance, does the mobile phone indicate "No IP" or "Connection Failed"?
    2. Device Logs: Please navigate to Monitor > Log on the Web GUI of your NWA50AXs and looking for any messages that state "Disconnected by....". An example is shown in the image below.
      Once you find such messages, please provide us with the MAC addresses of the stations that failed to connect.
    3. Diagnostic File: We would also appreciate if you could collect a diagnostic file when the problem occurs again. You can do this from the local GUI by going to Maintenance > Diagnostic > Collect Now. Please send us this file and MAC address through a private message. This file will provide us with more detailed information and may help us identify the root cause of the problem.

Zyxel Nami

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @MCal27

Thank you for sharing your experience with the NWA50AX units in your mesh setup.

To better assist you, could you please describe your specific problem in more detail?

One important factor to check is the uplink signal strength of the repeater APs. We recommend a signal strength above -65 dBm for optimal performance.

Please check Uplink signal at Devices > Access points to choose Uplink signal as below instruction:

If the signal strength is strong (above -65 dBm) but you continue to experience issues with the mesh network, we would advise you to enable Zyxel Support Access for us to investigate further.

Zyxel Nami

• MCal27
    Options

Thanks, I’ll do this and report back. right now I have had to disable all mesh connected access points as my whole wifi network drops when the issue occurs, but I will try again tomorrow and report back.

thanks

• MCal27
    Options

HI Nami, I dont think the issue is with mesh. I removed all the mesh connected access points as part of troubleshooting, so I now only have 1 access point connected via ethernet and it still stops working on occasion. I looked though the event logs and i see this happening "Device is rebooted by internal hardware watchdog timeout!" thats seems to be the main cause.

I've changed network cables and verified that the switch and other wired connections are ok into the switch. Has my access point got a hardware fault? happy to let you guys check remotely if the over is still available?

Alan

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello Alan @MCal27

To further investigate the issue, we kindly request your assistance in enabling Zyxel Support Access as outlined in the previous message. This will allow us to access Nebula and provide a thorough investigation.

Additionally, please provide us with the following information: your Organization/Site name and the MAC address of the affected AP via private message.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Zyxel Nami

• MCal27
    Options

Nami, this is all done. many thanks for the offer of help.

Alan

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi Alan,

I have received your message and the provided information. We will keep you updated through messages from now on.

Zyxel Nami