Weird GS1915 series default

Options
2»

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,806  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Their is no asking you go to a house with two flats you knock on the door two Jim's open the door which Jim do you want?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,673  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @mMontana,

I did a local test and found the PC can still access the Internet. Although two devices use the same IP address in the network, the GS1915 is not a router, the PC could not access the Internet via GS1915. Thus, the PC will learn the firewall's MAC address and find the right way.

However, there might occur a short disconnection due to the Arp renewal. To avoid this problem, I suggest using ZON to change the management IP if there's no DHCP server in your network.

Zyxel Melen

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,320  Guru Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but i can't consider ZON as an useful tool for managing network devices.

When (not if) the producer of network device will stop support/update/product support of the Android/iOS app, i will not be able to configure devices.

Long live Telnet, SSH, Web Browsers and thanks for the test. 192.168.1.1 is the wrong default address for switches if shared with routers and firewalls.

• PeterUK
    edited June 2023
    Options

192.168.1.1 is the wrong default address for switches if shared with routers and firewalls.

Many other brands of switches do the same thing😏

Their is no right way of doing this even if it was 192.168.1.254 you say a device is using that IP or you have the switch ARP out /24 then pick a IP it can use then how are you to find the IP of the switch?

really best way is to connect a switch to PC not connected to router config IP then connect it up.

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,320  Guru Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Many other brands of switches do the same thing

IMVHO they do it wrong. Many other brands instead use a "not so used" default ip address (like 192.168.10.10, or 192.168.9.2, or 192.168.1.2)

Sometimes most diffused behaviour do not make so much sense to everyone… Check on fly eating habits, which are different from others species.

• PeterUK
    edited June 2023
    Options

So...whats your idea to solve this on newer switches by Zyxel?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,673  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Dear @mMontana, we greatly appreciate your feedback. Your concern regarding the potential IP conflict caused by the switch's default IP address is noted. Allow me to assist you in generating an idea post to address this matter.

Here's the FAQ link:

Zyxel Melen