Need some help with IGMP Snooping settings on GS1900 switch

Options
msoultan
msoultan Posts: 2
First Comment

Hi,

I just purchased a GS1900-16 switch and one of the requirements for the audio system we're using (Wheatnet) is that we enable IGMP snooping. They have some specific settings, but the information provided is for Cisco switches and I am not totally sure of the associated configuration settings for Zyxel. I'd really like to keep this switch and I was hoping someone would be able to help translate the Cisco configuration over to Zyxel. Here is the doc, and I'll paste the pertinent sections below as well:

https://www.wheatstone.com/joomlatools-files/docman-files/downloadables//Cisco_9200_9300_C1000_WNIP_config_guide.pdf

IGMP Snooping Querier Configuration

By default, IGMP is enabled globally on the switch. To set up IGMP Snooping Querier on the switch you must be in the Global configuration mode. To enter the configuration mode once again type “Config T” and press Enter. Enter the following commands:

ip igmp snooping querier
ip igmp snooping querier max-response-time 25
ip igmp snooping querier timer expiry 205
end

By default IGMP Snooping is globally enabled on the switch. It is enabled on VLANs by default. Global IGMP snooping takes precedent over VLAN IGMP Snooping.

If globally disabled you cannot enable IGMP Snooping on a per VLAN basis. The commands above simply enable the querier on the switch and set a few values for maximum response time and the expiration duration for the querier.

Configuring Gigabit Ports Connecting to WheatNet‑IP I/O BLADE3,
BLADE4, Audioarts DMX, all IP consoles, and PC Drivers

Configuring the ports on the Cisco9200/9300/C1000 series switch is a key step in ensuring optimal performance of the Wheatnet‑IP network. This section will guide you in the setup of each port used for WheatNet‑IP I/O BLADE 3s or BLADE4s.

Switch ports operate in one of three modes, dynamic, trunk, or access mode.

Switch ports connecting to Wheatstone IP devices must be in Access mode. Access mode places the port in static access mode and gives it access to the default VLAN. The switchport nonegotiate command disables the Dynamic Trunking Protocol and tells the port not to generate DTP frames.

To setup ports on the switch you must also be in the Global Configuration mode. To enter the configuration mode once again type “Config T” and press Enter.

Enter the following commands based on the OS versions of your switch:

OS any version prior to version 15.0

Interface gig 0/x (x=the Ethernet port being configured)
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate
switchport block multicast
no ip igmp snooping tcn flood
spanning-tree portfast
end

• OS any version after 15.0

Interface gig 0/x (x=the Ethernet port being configured)
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate
no ip igmp snooping tcn flood
spanning-tree portfast
end

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,632  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @msoultan,

The GS1900's configuration is different from the Cisco switch. Here's the translation for GS1900:

For the VLAN part, please set up VLAN, Port VLAN ID, and VLAN port member in configuration > VLAN > VLAN.

The GS1900 does not support Cisco DTP, so you can ignore switchport nonegotiate configuration.

For "Spanning-tree portfast", you can use "Edge port" function for instead. The configuration path is configuration > spanning-tree > STP port

For the IGMP part, switchport block multicast can use Unknown Multicast Drop for instead.

For the "IGMP snooping querier max-response-time", the GS1900 supports Query Max. Response interval for instead. But, the maximum is 20.

And the "IGMP snooping querier timer expiry", the GS1900 does not support it, but you can use this formula to check: Query Interval * Query Retry + Query Max. Response interval.

Also, GS1900 does not support "no ip igmp snooping tcn flood".

In addition, the GS1900 is entry-level switch for SMB, hence it doesn't offer a plethora of IGMP parameters.

On the other hand, Audio over IP demands more from the timer and performance, thus it's recommended to use the Networked AV model GS2220, which is more suitable for Audio over IP users.

Compared to the GS1900, the GS2220 provides a broader range of parameter settings, as well as a Networked AV wizard for users to set up. A large number of users have successfully employed this model in the Audio over IP field.

For more information, please check our Networked AV solution web page.

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,632  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @msoultan,

The GS1900's configuration is different from the Cisco switch. Here's the translation for GS1900:

For the VLAN part, please set up VLAN, Port VLAN ID, and VLAN port member in configuration > VLAN > VLAN.

The GS1900 does not support Cisco DTP, so you can ignore switchport nonegotiate configuration.

For "Spanning-tree portfast", you can use "Edge port" function for instead. The configuration path is configuration > spanning-tree > STP port

For the IGMP part, switchport block multicast can use Unknown Multicast Drop for instead.

For the "IGMP snooping querier max-response-time", the GS1900 supports Query Max. Response interval for instead. But, the maximum is 20.

And the "IGMP snooping querier timer expiry", the GS1900 does not support it, but you can use this formula to check: Query Interval * Query Retry + Query Max. Response interval.

Also, GS1900 does not support "no ip igmp snooping tcn flood".

In addition, the GS1900 is entry-level switch for SMB, hence it doesn't offer a plethora of IGMP parameters.

On the other hand, Audio over IP demands more from the timer and performance, thus it's recommended to use the Networked AV model GS2220, which is more suitable for Audio over IP users.

Compared to the GS1900, the GS2220 provides a broader range of parameter settings, as well as a Networked AV wizard for users to set up. A large number of users have successfully employed this model in the Audio over IP field.

For more information, please check our Networked AV solution web page.

Zyxel Melen

• msoultan
    msoultan Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Ahhhh… I was wondering if this switch supported these features - I really appreciate the translation! I'll give that a try, and I'll also take a look at the GS2220!

Thanks!!

Mike