Is there any Zyxel ONT that I can use a VPN on it?

Options

Hello. I want to use a VPN on an ONT (I have PMG5617T20B2 right now), which of Zyxel products has this posibility?

Is there any chance that in near future Zyxel release a firmware update for PMG5617T20B2 with VPN capability?

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 842  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @mhasamah24

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think that you will find an ONT with VPN built in, as an ONT is more an OSI-RM layer 1 (physical) and layer 2 (data-link layer) device.

An ONT would solely do conversions between optical and electrical Ethernet with some management as well.

VPN is more at OSI-RM layer 3 (Router) layer functionality, and so would pass through an ONT.

So VPN functionality would be built into a Router, or be software/hardware on another host that the ONT would pass straight-through.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Tony

• mhasamah24
    Options

Thanks for your answer🌹

Do you mean that I can use a Router after ONT to have this feature?

If not, what's your suggestion to nail this? Or this means that it's impossible?

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 842  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @mhasamah24

You are welcome.

Yes, I am saying that you would need to use a router after an ONT, on the customer premises side, and then run the VPN on the router or on a computer connected to the router on the customer local area network.

Kind regards,

Tony

• mhasamah24
    Options

I hope I don't make you tired with my questions.

The usual Routers which used for ADSL are compatible with ONT or I should buy a specific Router?

Consumer Product Help Center