XGS1210-12 LLDP Support

Options

Hi,

it would be nice if LLDP could be activated in the firmware.

The FritzBox Routers from AVM, most popular (home) routers here in Germany,

now use LLDP (FRITZ!OS 7.50) to create a network Map from your home network.

My old SG200-08 has support for LLDP, but the new XGS1210-12 not.

It would be great to see LLDP Support in a new firmware.

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 497  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @SteffenO

The XGS1210-12 switch is a Web Managed Switch designed with a focus on SOHO and consumer, providing basic management features such as QoS, VLAN, and Static Link Aggregation.

LLDP is typically supported on models designed for SMB environments to enhance manageability. For instance, our Smart Managed Switch series, like the GS1900 series, supports LLDP.

We appreciate your suggestion and understand that the LLDP can be beneficial for creating a network map. However, due to the different target groups of our products, it currently may not be feasible to add this feature to consumer products such as the XGS1210-12 model.

Again, it would be appreciated to continually have your feedback.

Zyxel Nami

• SteffenO
    SteffenO Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Hi Nami,

AVM: Improved "Mesh Overview" now shows network switches that use the LLDP protocol

AVM Fritzbox Routers are the most used CONSUMER Routers here in germany, and sold

In other countries too, also as OEM.

So, I understand that you try to have a distance between your product lines, but

more and more formerly “professional” functions grow in the segment of home users.

I mean, we are talking about a manageable switch with 10G SFP+ Ports.

10G for home use is growing, but still not common.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @SteffenO

Thank you for the insightful comment.

We value your insights on the growing demand for advanced features like LLDP in consumer products.

As per the previous message, at this point in time, we haven’t had plans to add this feature to the consumer line, such as the XGS1210-12.

However, this doesn't rule out the possibility of implementing this feature in the future. We're closely monitoring user feedback, including votes and comments on this topic, which will be considered in our ongoing product evaluations.

Zyxel Nami

• SwerveShot
    Options

I'm with @SteffenO on this one. I have a ZyXEL XGS1250-12 where I would also love to have lldp like I had on my previous switch. I choose the device for it's 10gbe capabilities and I am aware of who Zyxel is targeting this device at. So I get why the current firmware is light on features. However @SteffenO makes a valid point that the adoption of 10gbe in the SOHO market is not that widespread and you will find a lot of what I would call prosumers. These are the kinds of users that would like a little more customizability. I can see a lot of switch feature requests being honored and appreciate the version 2.0 firmware that was recently released. So I stay positieve about more added features coming to this line of switches in the future. Alternatively, when third party firmware like Openwrt gets more mature for your particular device you can always consider that.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @SwerveShot

To understand more about your needs, could you please let us know about your topology?

Besides, please provide the model of your previous switch.

Thank you

Zyxel Nami