VLAN setup clarifications on XGS1210-12

Options
woro
woro Posts: 1

Hi,

today I got my very first Zyxel device (XGS1210-12) to replace a Netgear GS108E.

Now I found that apparently Zyxel is handling VLANs quite differently to the Netgear. I have 4 VLANs in my network which are "terminated" on three different routers which are connected via the switch to support guest and iot wifi networks.

In the Netgear case I had to do absolutely nothing to let the VLANs pass the switch. (Not sure anymore if I had to enable IEEE 802.1Q in general. But at least adding VLANs didn't require anything on the Netgear.)

So I was quite surprised that all my VLANs were broken when I replaced the device with the XGS and I tried to understand what is required to make them work again.

To my understanding (and it apparently works) I just need to add the VLANs and mark all ports tagged (yes, I know I could limit it to the actually involved ports but that makes it even more error-prone when I eventually re-wire things later).

So is that the right thing to do? And this limits my possible VLANs to the number of 32 in the end? (I guess I won't need more but anyway.)

At least for my usecase that was nicer with the Netgear I have to say. (It obviously misses the SFP and multigig ports which I wanted to have.)

Thanks,

Wolfgang

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 598  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @woro

Yes, you are correct in your understanding of how VLANs work. To facilitate VLAN traffic through the switch, you'll need to add the desired VLANs and then configure the tag/untag settings for the ports that will handle the VLAN traffic. For guidance on configuring your VLAN settings, you can refer to this link:

Regarding your concern about the limit on the number of XGS1210-12 VLANs, it supports up to of 32 VLANs.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance with your VLAN setup, please provide your detailed network topology. Our community is here to assist you.

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 598  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @woro

Yes, you are correct in your understanding of how VLANs work. To facilitate VLAN traffic through the switch, you'll need to add the desired VLANs and then configure the tag/untag settings for the ports that will handle the VLAN traffic. For guidance on configuring your VLAN settings, you can refer to this link:

Regarding your concern about the limit on the number of XGS1210-12 VLANs, it supports up to of 32 VLANs.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance with your VLAN setup, please provide your detailed network topology. Our community is here to assist you.

Kay