New Nebula Cloud Monitor Mode = (Sort of) Excellent!!!!

Options
itxnc
itxnc Posts: 98  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited July 2023 in Security

Huge shout out to Zyxel for the new Nebula hybrid/cloud monitor mode that dropped in v5.37! We never could find our way to Nebula Mode because too much stuff was missing compared to on-prem configuration. But we really missed the ability to centrally monitor and manage the many gateways we have out there with clients. This is exactly what we were looking for - the ability to centrally monitor the gateways AND manage them via on-prem mode without having to setup VPNs. Not that a VPN setup was difficult - just a pain. But now (with a Pro pack) we can remotely SSH and configure the gateways directly from Nebula. No need to reset to defaults - just configure the Organization Nebula Key/ID in your FLEX/ATP and assign it to the site.

Here's the HOWTO: https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/12541132545042-Nebula-CC-Cloud-Monitoring-Mode-Hybrid-Cloud-Stand-alone-mode-

Note - Gold Security Packs include Nebula Pro (and some UTM Bundles), but it doesn't auto activate. Click the green upgrade button (select to Pro Pack) in Licenses & Inventory Overview once you add a gateway to a site and it'll activate Nebula Pro from your current license. All the blue diamond features unlock.

Update - See below - seems like all this gets you is centralized mgmt access via Web/SSH tunnels. No stats, logs or metrics (at least I haven't seen any so far). That's disappointing. Can only hope it's on the roadmap. I mean why call it Monitor Mode if you can't actually monitor anything?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,079  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Dear @itxnc

Many thanks for your feedback for us😉!

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,773  Guru Member
    Options

I did a quick try of this some days back but you can't seem to Monitor what the USG is doing only uptime?

What I want is direct hybrid/cloud just bring the whole UI to the cloud from Stand-alone.

• itxnc
    itxnc Posts: 98  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Yeah my excitement may have been premature. I just assumed I'd see SOME data in the stat screens, but everything is empty. I figured maybe it needed 24 hours to gather information before displaying. But you are right - all I see is the uptime. That's disappointing. I'm not asking for realtime traffic stats, but the basic firewall metrics, client list, logs/alerts, etc would be nice.

Still very nice to have a centralized method to access the web admin portals and SSH, but the lack of any meaningful stats/logs seems like a major oversight. Can only hope they'll add that down the road.

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,079  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Security Highlight