VLAN NAS connected to smart TV

Options
Syur
Syur Posts: 2

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your help. I did watch several very good videos on networking but it's just not something I can figure out on my own.

I am especially confused when it comes to things on a VLAN that are meant to connect to things on the routers WIFI.

My goals (see image):

-The PC and The LAPTOP should be able to access and monitor everything on the LAN except for the Work PC.

-The Work PC should have internet access, but otherwise, it's totally isolated.

-The CAMERA reaches the TV via DDNS to Alexa. I'm not sure if I can use my own DDNS and still access Alexa (and the TV). The PC should be able to see the camera using an IP address.

-The NAS needs to connect to the app on the Smart TV, and The LAPTOP, and the PC, but not the Internet.

-The cell phone is on a guess WIFI network.

-I would like to use a non-intra LAN guess WIFI account for Alexa and the Smart TV, but I can't because the NAS needs to see the TV.

-The 2nd router is mainly so I can use the phone and Alexa from the garage and yard.

My questions are:

1. Is there a benefit or a need to use the switch's DHCP?
  2. If I just wanted to set up 2 VLAN's:

1 for the work PC and,

1 for the NAS

How would I do it, and how could I access the NAS from either the LAPTOP or The PC?

BTW, The NAS has a 2nd Ethernet port.

FYI I don't know anything about how to set tagging, untagging or egress so please tell me what each setting should be.

3. Do I need a new (commercial grade) router to put the WIFI devices on a VLAN?

Thanks!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 598  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @Syur

Is there a benefit or a need to use the switch's DHCP?

GS1200-8 is an L2 Web-managed Switch, it doesn’t support the DHCP server feature.

If I just wanted to set up 2 VLAN's:

1 for the work PC and,

1 for the NAS

First of all, it's essential to create specific VLAN interfaces on your router.

According to your description, I assume that you would like to have the following VLANs in your network and all the subnets are under LAN1:

• VLAN 1(Default): PC, Laptop, Camera, Smart TV, 2nd Router
    • VLAN 10: Work PC
    • VLAN 20: NAS
    1. To isolate your Port 7(Work PC) from the rest of the network, you may set the following security policies on your router:
      1. Block traffic from VLAN 10 to LAN1
      2. Block traffic from LAN1 to VLAN10
    2. To allow NAS to communicate to Smart TV, Laptop, and the PC, excluding the internet, you may set the following security policies on your router:
      1. Block traffic from VLAN 20 to WAN

For detailed guidance on configuring VLAN for your GS1200-8 web-managed switch, please refer to this article:

Do I need a new (commercial grade) router to put the WIFI devices on a VLAN?

This requirement hinges on your current router's capabilities. If it supports VLAN tagging, you can configure the WiFi router’s SSIDs with a specific VLAN. Please consult your router's specification to determine if this is feasible.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.

Kay