Can't get NWA1123ACv3 to work - not accepting default username and password

Options
gumbosauce
gumbosauce Posts: 5
First Comment
edited August 2023 in WirelessLAN

I am having a frustrating time trying to get a new NWA1123ACv3 to work, i bought several of them.

I bought them brand new direct from Newegg, not from an ISP.

When i go to the standalone web interface mode, the username "admin" and password "1234" don't work, i get the error message login denied.

The quick start guide says the username is admin and the password is 1234, but I also tried admin and admin, admin and blank, admin and the last 4 digits of the mac address, and blank and blank.

I don't want to use the nebula app.

Does anyone know what the real default password is on these AP's for the web interface with the latest firmware? IT looks like they've changed it without updating their user manual.

Resetting the AP using the pin hole reset, waiting 10 minutes etc made no difference.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

• gumbosauce
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

For anyone with this same issue, i tried Edge instead of Chrome and it worked straight away.

Then i tried Chrome in Incognito mode and it also worked.

For whatever reason, it wont accept admin 1234 in regular chrome.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 506  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @gumbosauce

The default credentials are undoubtedly "admin" for the username and "1234" for the password. However, if you have previously registered the device on Nebula, that might be the reason why the default credentials are not working now.

Once a device is added to the Nebula Org/Site, it becomes managed via Nebula, and the password is set to the one found in the Configure > Site settings > Device configuration section. To log in to the device's web GUI, please use this password.

Keep in mind that when the device is managed by Nebula, the web GUI will have fewer options compared to those managed by Standalone mode.

In case you registered the device on Nebula and now would like to switch to Standalone mode, you may follow the steps below FAQ to completely remove the device from Nebula and administer it locally.

Zyxel Nami

• gumbosauce
    First Comment
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello,

No that's not the case, this was a BRAND new device bought from Newegg, i plugged it in, picked it up on my dhcp server and connected to it's local web ip address, and admin/1234 did NOT work, nor do those details work after doing a factory reset. Nor did any of the other username pasword combinations i mentioned earlier work.

I will open another brand new Zyxel NWA1123ACv3 AP and try it instead as i bought several from Newegg.

I really hope you guys haven't changed to username/password combination and not documented it, either that or Newegg is sending out RMA'd devices claiming they are brand new, but again, a factory reset (ie holding a paperclip in the hole for 10 seconds until lights change, wait 10 mins etc) should clear EVERYTHING back to defaults of admin 1234, which it isn't.

• gumbosauce
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

For anyone with this same issue, i tried Edge instead of Chrome and it worked straight away.

Then i tried Chrome in Incognito mode and it also worked.

For whatever reason, it wont accept admin 1234 in regular chrome.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 506  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @gumbosauce

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience. It's indeed puzzling that the default credentials didn't work in regular Chrome but worked in Edge and Chrome's Incognito mode.

Regarding Chrome, it's possible that some cached data or extensions might have interfered with the login process. As a troubleshooting step, you can try clearing the cache on Chrome or disabling any extensions that might be affecting the login.

Zyxel Nami

• gumbosauce
    Options

FYI for anyone else having this issue, the extension causing the issue was "Dark Reader", and extension for making websites dark (blakc backgrounds etc) so easier on the eyes.

Not sure why this affects Zyxel, but can reproduce the issue 100% by enabling/disabling dark reader.