GS1200-5 VLAN Configuration Question

Options
RyM
RyM Posts: 1
edited August 2023 in Switch

I am using a GS1200-5 with the V2.00(ABKM.2)C0 firmware.

I am trying to configure the VLAN. On port 5 I have a switch with all management equipment, administration computers and internal trusted access points. Port 4 has internet. Ports 1-3 have untrusted guest access points.

This is how I thought it should be configured:

However, ports 1-3 don't seem to have an internet connection. Ports 1-3 and 5 should have internet, it is just that ports 1-3 should not see devices on port 5. How is this supposed to be configured?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 598  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @RyM

First of all, you should make sure that you have created the necessary VLAN interfaces on your router. Following this, since your Port 4 is for the internet(to router), you should tag Port 4 with VLAN10. This tagging will enable devices from VLAN10 to communicate and exchange DHCP packets with the router.

Besides, to isolate your VLAN10 from other VLANs(ex: VLAN1) , do remember to establish the security policies on your router. For example:

• Block traffic from VLAN10 to VLAN1
    • Block traffic from VLAN1 to VLAN 10

For more detailed guidance about the VLAN configuration concept for web-managed switches, please refer to this FAQ:

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 598  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @RyM

First of all, you should make sure that you have created the necessary VLAN interfaces on your router. Following this, since your Port 4 is for the internet(to router), you should tag Port 4 with VLAN10. This tagging will enable devices from VLAN10 to communicate and exchange DHCP packets with the router.

Besides, to isolate your VLAN10 from other VLANs(ex: VLAN1) , do remember to establish the security policies on your router. For example:

• Block traffic from VLAN10 to VLAN1
    • Block traffic from VLAN1 to VLAN 10

For more detailed guidance about the VLAN configuration concept for web-managed switches, please refer to this FAQ:

Kay