Cannot get reliable WDS connection between multiple standalone NWA50AX

Options
d_p
d_p Posts: 7
First Comment
edited September 2023 in WirelessLAN

I have a layout with 4 standalone NWA50AX, one of which is the Root AP, the other ones are Repeaters, see attached network topology.

The Root AP is the only one attached to the Uplink. All NWA50AX are DHCP clients. The Mikrotik Router acts as DHCP server.

I followed the howtos here and here to set up WDS between the NWA50AX. The APs 2-4 have an identical config. All are on the newest firmware V6.29(ABYW.1). I use the 2.4 GHz radio for WDS and the 5GHz radio for AP.

Observed behavior:

• Connecting any STA to 1 works fine.
  • The connection between 1 and 2 always works fine. 
  • The connection between 2 and 3 worked until recently, but then AP 3 suddenly stopped being connected to anything. I could not get it back, even though nothing has changed in the config and nothing in the logs. I put AP 3 next to AP 1, nothing happened. Only after connecting it to the same Uplink, it started working again.
  • The connection between 1 and 4 was working for a couple of minutes but then stopped. I cannot get it back to connect to any other AP via WDS, even if moving them physically next to each other. I tried the same as with AP 3, i.e. attaching it to Uplink. While attached, it works, but after detaching it and moving it back at its place, it does not connect to anything.

Any ideas what to try?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 499  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @d_p

Firstly, please make sure that the WDS SSID, Pre-Shared Key, VLAN, and even the WDS Profile name are the same on all APs.

The behavior of AP 3 and AP 4 suggests that they couldn't establish a connection with their uplink APs. Have you tried adding the MAC address of the uplink APs?

Then, please go to Monitor > Wireless > WDS Link Info on each AP to check if the connection has been successfully established.

Keep in mind that the signal strength should be at least -75 dBm to maintain a stable repeater AP connection to the uplink.

If the issue still persists, please let us know

Zyxel Nami

• d_p
    First Comment
    Options

Hi Nami, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, nothing changed. What I have done:

• I put AP 4 on the ethernet uplink, physically next to AP 1.
    • I verified that WDS SSID, key, VLAN and profile name are identical.
    • I added the MAC address of AP 1 to AP 4 as you suggested.

No WDS connection is established.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @d_p

We acknowledge your issue and are currently investigating it. We will update you as soon as we have any information.

Thanks

Zyxel Nami

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @d_p

To proceed with the further investigation, could you please provide us with the MAC and SN of 4 APs via private message?

Thank you

Zyxel Nami

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @d_p

I received your message.

Regarding the power source: are you using the devices with the attached adapter, or via PoE? If it's PoE, please ensure it's compliant with the 802.3at standard and share the model of the PoE Switch/Adapter with us. It's essential to note that the power source can influence the stability of the AP.

To further investigate why AP 3 and AP 4 are unable to establish a WDS connection with AP 1, we kindly ask for your assistance in providing the diagnostic info for all four units. For guidance on collecting these files, please refer to the FAQ:

Thank you for your cooperation.

Zyxel Nami

• d_p
    First Comment
    Options

All devices use the attached power adapter. No PoE.
    Collecting the diagnostica info will require time, because I'm currently traveling. I'll keep you posted.

• d_p
    First Comment
    Options

I provided the diagnostic information in a private message to Zyxel_Nami. Please let me know once you received this.

• d_p
    First Comment
    Options

Currently the APs run in standalone mode. Would it make a difference if I put them on Nebula?

• d_p
    First Comment
    Options

Additional info: After turning off AP2 and then turning it on again 2 minutes later, now also AP2 does not connect to AP1 any more.

Can this really be that complicated? It seems that is one of the most important use cases for these access points?

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @d_p

We have received your diagnostic info and we are currently checking on it. We will update you shortly.

Regarding your question about the difference between Nebula and Standalone modes, Nebula offers a more convenient and centralized way to configure and manage multiple devices through a single portal. I would say that it is the best solution to manage many devices simultaneously.

Additionally, Nebula supports Smart Mesh, which allows APs to establish a Mesh network with just one click.

Zyxel Nami