EX3301-T0 - Mac Filter

Options

Hi there

Ive just been connected up on Ultrafast and my Router is the Zyxel EX3301-T0 AX1800

Usually on routers i setup a mac filter white list, to only allow devices i add to that list myself, so no other device can ever connect unless i add it, i know theres a Mac filter in the Router admin page i saw, but it said its for wire devices only, My question is, does this router support adding wifi connected devices to an allowed Mac list or not, i dont seem to be able to find it.

Thanks in advance.

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 845  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @GrayG70

Welcome to the forum.

The MAC Filter should work wireless as well as wired, according to the user guide, see below extract

The user guide is in the Downloads linked from https://www.zyxel.com/uk/en-gb/products/dsl-cpe/dual-band-wireless-ax1800-gigabit-ethernet-iad-ex3301-t0

Are you able to say what firmware version you have in your EX3301-T0 device please?

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Tony

• GrayG70
    Options

Hi Tony thanks for the reply, According to my router its only for wired, strange, i dont have the manual, Voneus are new to my area which is rural, and unfortunately their engineers took all the boxes and manuals and whatever else was in the box away with them, just leaving the installed fibre setup.

I have checked my firmware and it is as follows - V5.50(ABVY.3)C0 so i have no idea if its needing an update or something, i assumed the router would do that automatically.

So im a bit stumped why the router states its ethernet devices only that can use mac filtering.

Thanks in advance

• GrayG70
    Options
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 845  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi @GrayG70

You're welcome. That text is confusing, especially as the example in the user guide shows wireless.

If you wish, then you could try it with wireless for a white allow list, since devices accessing wirelessly also have a MAC address.

Alternatively, you could try a firmware upgrade, as V5.50(ABVY3.4)C0 from January 2023 is available to download from https://www.zyxel.com/uk/en-gb/support/download?model=ex3301-t0

Firmware upgrades are not automatic.

The user guide is available there also.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Tony

• GrayG70
    Options

Thanks again Tony, upgraded firmware to 3.4 but i see absolutely no difference, Mac Filter is still saying wired only lol. Not particularly best pleased with this router as it is, other issues with it too, but i will try as suggested to create a white list including all 8 of my wifi devices to see what happens.

Other issues i have is, i have 2 Alexa bulbs connected to it and 2 Wifi cameras, all connected no problem and worked, however if my router is off or reboots, my cameras and bulbs are dead for approx 35mins and dont show up in the admin page connectivity section ffor around that length of time, reeeeeaaaaal slow, coming from standard copper wire broadband i thought all that connectivity would be faster, but its not on this Zyxel, also the Lan, i just tested my laptop plugged into the Lan port, really slow, literally around 65mbps on speed tests, i tried 5 different sites.

So im not sure whats happening, whether its just a settling in period as it was only installed yesterday or what, or maybe i just need a much better router.

Regards.

• GrayG70
    Options

Just to add the exact router details, because im not sure if it is actually EX or DX or what the difference is -

• Host Name
    • EX3301-T0
    • Model Name
    • DX3301-T0
    • Firmware Version
    • V5.50(ABVY.3)C0

Consumer Product Help Center