zy1210-12 2.5Gb port fault.

Options

Hi,

I received two 1210-12 switches from Amazon OK.

Everything connected, setup and working perfectly.

The switches are interlinked on a 10G port with a DAC cable. 3 out of the 4 2.5Gb ports in use with 1 going to a Zyxel MG-105 5port 2.5G access switch.

Everything worked fine.

The next morning however port 10 on switch 1 had degraded to 1G.

I replugged the cable and it negotiated for 5 seconds and came up in 2.5G. Then a few seconds later it degraded to 1G.

I swapped cables, devices through many different combinations and anything on any cable I connect to that port behaves the same. Long negotiation and either connection at 1G or a brief period at 2.5G and then 1G.

I de-powered the switch for 10 minutes to cool it off and turned it back on. Port 10 on switch immediately connected at 2.5G, but then degraded to 1G 10 seconds later.

That one port is broken, that other 2.5g on both switches work fine.

Should return the switch via Amazon for a replacement or is there anything you can suggest to try? Note (if I force 2.5G on the "Ports" page, the port just doesn't come up. Flow control made no difference).

Everything else is working so far. I'm just down on 2.5G port.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 490  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @paulca

When you looped ports 9 and 10 together, it appears that port 10's LED turned off, which is expected due to the Loop Prevention mechanism. However, you mentioned that port 9's LED also turned off after a few seconds. Could you please check the Link Status of ports 9 and 10? Are they showing a connection speed of 2.5Gbps or something different?

For your reference, above is our test result after looping port 9 and port 10. The expected behavior is that the LED on the higher-numbered port (port 10) should turn off, while the LED on the smaller-numbered port (port 9) should remain blue. Upon checking the Link Status, both ports should ideally show a connection speed of 2.5Gbps.

Based on your previous test and the recent loop test, if your Link Status results do not align with the expected 2.5Gbps, we recommend returning the unit to the seller.

Best Regards

Zyxel Nami

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @paulca

Thank you for sharing the details of your issue with the XGS1210-12 switch.

Firstly, I'd like to confirm your network topology based on the illustration below. Two XGS1210-12 switches are interlinked via a 10G port, specifically ports 11/12. One of the four 2.5G ports, either port 9 or port 10, is connected to the MG-105. Please correct me if I've misunderstood.

To better assist you in resolving the issue, we would appreciate some additional information:

1. Connected Device: Is the device connected to port 10 of Switch 1 a Zyxel MG-105 or another device? Have you tried swapping out the connected device for testing?
      Please provide the name of the device.
    2. Alternate Ports: If you move the connected device to port 9 or 10 of Switch 2, does it maintain a 2.5G link?
    3. Isolation Test: Could you isolate Switch 1 and loop port 9 and port 10 together using a single cable? And let us know whether it is 2.5G or 1G on port 9 and port 10.
    4. Force 2.5G: Please ensure that the connected port/device is also set to force 2.5G. During the isolation test, if you configure port 10 to "force 2.5G," make sure to apply the same setting to port 9 as well.

Zyxel Nami

• paulca
    Options

Your diagram is correct. Except the MG105 is on port 10, the port that is the problem. Switch 2 - port 10.

Only ports 12 are linked with a Cu 30cm DAC cable. Port 11 is free.

1. Connected Device: Is the device connected to port 10 of Switch 1 a Zyxel MG-105 or another device? Have you tried swapping out the connected device for testing?
      Please provide the name of the device.

2.5Gb devices I have tested on ports 9 and 10 of both switches are:

Zyxel MG105, MinisForum UM560XT 2.5Gb, "Amazon" branded 2.5Gb NIC.

The other Zyxel 1210-12 switch.

On Switch 1, ports 9 and 10 all come up instantly in 2.5G (blue light) and remain.

On Switch 2, port 9 connects at 2.5G, but port 10 exhibits "delayed negotiation" and either comes up in 1G, or briefly comes up in 2.5G and drops to 1G.

All devices, the ports behave the same.

1. Alternate Ports: If you move the connected device to port 9 or 10 of Switch 2, does it maintain a 2.5G link?

As above. All 2.5Gb devices function at 2.5Gb on all ports except Switch 2 port 10.

1. Isolation Test: Could you isolate Switch 1 and loop port 9 and port 10 together using a single cable? And let us know whether it is 2.5G or 1G on port 9 and port 10.

I had packaged it for return, but I will un package and test this for you this evening.

1. Force 2.5G: Please ensure that the connected port/device is also set to force 2.5G. During the isolation test, if you configure port 10 to "force 2.5G," make sure to apply the same setting to port 9 as well.

I have tried forcing the link to 2.5 on the "Ports" page and the link did not come up at all.

I'll try the isolation tests now.

I will most likely be returning the item via Amazon for a replacement. Would you like any reference number written on (or in) the box to link this ticket up?

Thanks for your time.

Paul

• paulca
    paulca Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited September 2023
    Options

Faulty switch in isolation. Only DC power connected.

Test 1.

Switch booted to solid green light.

Connect 30cm patch between ports 9 and 10.

Two blue lights for a few seconds. Then Port 10 light goes dark. A few seconds later port 9 goes dark, port 10 flashes blue once and both ports become disabled with no lights.

Test 2.

Cable connected from "cold", switch plugged in.

When boot sequence completes, there is a long pause and port 9 comes up with a 1G light and port 10 has no light.

Following: Unlinking and relinking ports 9 and 10… two blue lights. 3 seconds. Port 9 blue only. 3 seconds. No lights on either. A long pause layer and back to port 9 = green. 10 = off.

(This sounds to me like the dropping to green means the switch is also self negotiating at 1G on that port. The fact we drop to one light is the anti-loop functionality.. ?)

• Zyxel_Nami
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @paulca

When you looped ports 9 and 10 together, it appears that port 10's LED turned off, which is expected due to the Loop Prevention mechanism. However, you mentioned that port 9's LED also turned off after a few seconds. Could you please check the Link Status of ports 9 and 10? Are they showing a connection speed of 2.5Gbps or something different?

For your reference, above is our test result after looping port 9 and port 10. The expected behavior is that the LED on the higher-numbered port (port 10) should turn off, while the LED on the smaller-numbered port (port 9) should remain blue. Upon checking the Link Status, both ports should ideally show a connection speed of 2.5Gbps.

Based on your previous test and the recent loop test, if your Link Status results do not align with the expected 2.5Gbps, we recommend returning the unit to the seller.

Best Regards

Zyxel Nami