How to set NWA90AX to keep manual defined channel

Options
Antares_FR
Antares_FR Posts: 5
First Comment
edited October 2023 in WirelessLAN

Hi,

I'm a new owner of a brand new NWA90AX. I'm quite happy with it but I have a big issue which will make me return it if i can't find a solution.

I have disabled DCS for the 2.4G band profile I use. I have defined a manual channel to 8 for this profile. Despite that, every night this device decides by itself to change the channel and increments it by one each time. First night it goes to 9, then 10 etc… I saw this cause i started with a channel defined to 6 and it goes to 7 then 8. After that I checked the channel utilization in the "AP Information" menu and then decided to go to 8 which is the less used. There is less than 10% channel utilization on this channel everytime, so no need to automatically switch to another one.

How to prevent this not very smart device to change channel by itself ?

Here are my settings for this profile

Even if I dont use DCS I tried to put settings to channel 8, without success…

Without solution I'll send it back. I dont understand how a manual defined channel can be switched by the device by itself.

Regards

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 952  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Antares_FR ,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
    Before we close this case, let's summarize the findings. The latest firmware for the NWA90AX, version V6.29P2, resolves the issue of unexpected channel changes.
    After upgrading to this firmware, the user confirmed that the channel change symptoms have been eliminated.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

All Replies

• jpblanch75
    jpblanch75 Posts: 111  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

What firmware are you using?

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @Antares_FR ,

Multiple radio profiles can be applied to the AP. You can view the list of available radio profiles on the relevant screen.

Anh then, please navigate to Configuration > Wireless > AP Management and ensure that you have selected the appropriate radio profile for your AP.

Additionally, make sure that your firmware is up-to-date. The latest version is 6.29(ACCV.1)C0.

If you've taken the above steps and the issue persists, we would appreciate it if you could collect and send us the diagnostic and configuration files. You can send these files via private message by clicking on 'Message' under my account.

For instructions on how to collect the diagnostic file, please refer to this link. For the configuration file, you can follow the guide available here.

• Antares_FR
    Antares_FR Posts: 5
    First Comment
    edited October 2023
    Options

I know multiple profiles can be applied. I have disabled all excepts mine 5Ghz and mine 2.4Ghz.

I have 3 SSID. 2 of them have 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz and one has only 2.4Ghz. It is this one which change channel by itself. This night another time it goes from channel 8 to 9, when the two others keeps channel 8.

All of those 3 SSID have the same 2.4Ghz profile.

It's a problem.

How can I change the channel from CLI ? I'm looking for a mean to patch this thing without to hard cut the power and put it back with a smart plug when i detect a channel switch…

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi there,

This night another time it goes from channel 8 to 9, when the two others keep channel 8.

Could you please specify where you observed that SSID3 is set to channel 9? Was this information found in the AP's local GUI logs or through a network tool? Additionally, could you provide a screenshot that shows the channel changing to a different one? This will help us better understand the issue at hand.

If the issue happens again, we would appreciate it if you could collect the diagnostic file and export the relevant logs. You can find these logs under Monitor > Log > View Log.

• Antares_FR
    Options

I made a tool on a linux box with a "iwlist scan" to check any change in the wifi channel since i discovered this strange behavior from the AP. Each time the channel change by itself i got an email. I received it this night and when i woke up i went to the logs and saw that devices on this SSID tried to connect to channel 9 in place of 8. I'll do a screenshot next time because log file doesn't include those entries juste after the channel switch now, they were deleted.

• Antares_FR
    Options

This night the channel changed another time at 3AM but when i woke up at 7AM I wasn't able to check it in logs because logs file allowed me to check from roundly 6AM.

I give you my diagnostics files if it can help. The only thing i can think here is a station just few centimeter from the AP connected to the SSID which changes channel. This stations is only at -10db signal strengt. Maybe it's cause of it the channel changes by itself on the AP. Anyway, it mustn't change if it is set to manual but it's the only idea i have here :D

This morning when the channel was set to 9, i tried to do in ssh :
    configure terminal
    wlan-radio-profile <myprofile>
    2g-channel 8
    exit
    exit

but it did'nt work. For him i was on channel 8 already for this profile, despite one SSID using this profil was on another channel.

I then did

configure terminal
    2g-channel 9
    exit
    2g-channel 8
    exit
    exit

And it worked, but it is not a solution =)

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi there,

This night the channel changed another time at 3AM but when i woke up at 7AM I wasn't able to check it in logs

Could you please provide us with a screenshot indicating that the channel has changed to 9?
    Additionally, we would appreciate it if you could also send us the diagnostic file.
    Thank you!

• Antares_FR
    Options

I think there is a kind of delay between my reply here and my reply in private message with you.

My comment (58225) is obsolete now since you solved my issue with the file you provided to me =)

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Antares_FR ,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
    Before we close this case, let's summarize the findings. The latest firmware for the NWA90AX, version V6.29P2, resolves the issue of unexpected channel changes.
    After upgrading to this firmware, the user confirmed that the channel change symptoms have been eliminated.