How to unlock NAP102 to update firmware and how to investigate slowness in Wifi

Options

Hi there, I have 5 NAP102 access points. I noticed that the Wifi is lately a bit slow. I tried to update the firmware, but it is locked. It indicates that I need to contact support. I hope anyone can help me out.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,

Stefan

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 962  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Stefan,

It appears that there are some sticky clients in your network. We noticed that you have enabled Smart Steering with the Disassociate Station Threshold set to -80dBm. This setting means that a client will disconnect from the original AP when its signal reaches -80dBm, and then connect to another AP.
    For further guidance, you can refer to this FAQ to determine the threshold at which you want the client to disconnect from the original AP.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @sverheggen ,

We previously assisted you with a solution firmware upgrade to resolve an issue, which resulted in your AP firmware being locked.

We have now unlocked the firmware, so you are free to update your NAP102 to the latest version at your convenience.

• sverheggen
    Options

Hi Judy, thanks for the reply. I will upgrade it then Monday at the scheduled time. I also notice that sometimes the wifi is a little bit slow also when I am in the same room (20 m2) as the wifi point. Do you have tips how to validate the performance of the wifi or settings that can have impact on this? At home we all have Samsung Galaxy phones.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Regards,

Stefan

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @sverheggen ,

Regarding Wi-Fi performance improvements, please consult the provided FAQ for detailed information.

Additionally, please note that the NAP102 reached the end of its RMA and technical support period on January 31, 2022. The latest firmware available for this model is version 6.10(ABDF.8)C0. For future hardware upgrades, consider the WAC500 or other newer models as potential replacements.

• sverheggen
    Options

Thanks Judy, for your reaction and help. I have still the following questions.

It looks like the Wifi is slow because it doesn't connect to the nearest AP. I have an AP in the attic one on the second floor, two on the first floor not to far from each other (5 meters but in separate rooms), one outside.

I updated the firmware for all points to the latest version and did the steps in the post.

I now went back to the three channel configuration.

I also set dcs for 2.4 back to three channel.

I enabled smart steering. I can see other wifi points on channel 0-3. Where also an AP is on.

When I am close to the point I measure -30 with a tool.

On the phone we also have 5G there I don't see other AP interfering.

Can you help me out with the issue?

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,

Stefan

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Stefan,

It appears that there are some sticky clients in your network. We noticed that you have enabled Smart Steering with the Disassociate Station Threshold set to -80dBm. This setting means that a client will disconnect from the original AP when its signal reaches -80dBm, and then connect to another AP.
    For further guidance, you can refer to this FAQ to determine the threshold at which you want the client to disconnect from the original AP.