no IP by assign the corresponding VLAN

Options

My environment: FritzBox → GS1920-24HPv2 → AP NW-1123-AC-PRO.

My goal is to setup up one Guest-WLAN and one WLAN for my other devices in the network.

I´ve created in the Switch three VLANS:

1-Trunk for connecting AP´s
10- My own devices (SSID USER_NW)
20-Guests

The AP is connected to Port 2 and assigned to PVID-1

In the AP i´ve created 2 WLAN (one my devices and one for the guests)

so far so good, but get only a 169.254.166.11 IP-Adress, if i assign the SSID to VLAN ID 10 or 20, but i have have no idea why.

thanks and best regards

Hubbi

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 580  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Hubbi

After reviewing your screenshot, it appears that your AP's SSID configuration is correct. However, the issue with client devices not receiving the corresponding IP of the VLAN may be related to the DHCP server configuration on your router or the switch's VLAN setup.

To troubleshoot, consider the following steps:

1. Check Router DHCP Configuration
      Ensure that you have configured DHCP for VLANs 10 and 20 on your router. Each VLAN should have its own DHCP range and be correctly set up to assign IP addresses to the respective clients.
    2. Verify Switch VLAN Configuration
      Double-check the VLAN configuration on your Zyxel switch. Confirm that VLANs 10 and 20 are configured correctly, and ensure that traffic from the AP can be properly forwarded to the router.

If you require further assistance with configuring your Zyxel switch VLAN, please provide us with your network topology, specifying which ports are connected to the router or AP. This additional information will help us identify and address any potential misconfigurations.

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Hubbi

After reviewing your screenshot, it appears that your AP's SSID configuration is correct. However, the issue with client devices not receiving the corresponding IP of the VLAN may be related to the DHCP server configuration on your router or the switch's VLAN setup.

To troubleshoot, consider the following steps:

1. Check Router DHCP Configuration
      Ensure that you have configured DHCP for VLANs 10 and 20 on your router. Each VLAN should have its own DHCP range and be correctly set up to assign IP addresses to the respective clients.
    2. Verify Switch VLAN Configuration
      Double-check the VLAN configuration on your Zyxel switch. Confirm that VLANs 10 and 20 are configured correctly, and ensure that traffic from the AP can be properly forwarded to the router.

If you require further assistance with configuring your Zyxel switch VLAN, please provide us with your network topology, specifying which ports are connected to the router or AP. This additional information will help us identify and address any potential misconfigurations.

Kay

• Hubbi
    Hubbi Posts: 7
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

Hi Kay
    my topology looks as follows:

FritzBox → GS1920 → NW1123-AC-Pro:
    FritzBox (Port 4) connected to GS1920-24HPv2 on Port 4.
    GS1920-24HPv2 is connected to NW1123 on Port 2.

My VLAN10 configuration on GS1920:

VLAN Status:

Static VLAN:

VLAN Port Setup:

WLAN on NW1123:

If i change the VLAN ID to 1 → it works

If i change the VLAN ID to 10 → it doesn´t work (no IP adress)

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @Hubbi

Based on your information, it seems that the issue might be related to the VLAN configuration on your FritzBox router. Please check if your FritzBox router supports VLAN features and ensure that the corresponding VLAN interfaces are created on it. If the FritzBox does not support VLAN, devices connected downstream may not receive the IP addresses from the specified VLAN interfaces.

If your FritzBox router lacks VLAN support, you may consider adding a compatible router to your network. We offer two options that you can explore based on your requirements:

Regarding your network topology

FritzBox (Port 4) connected to GS1920-24HPv2 on Port 4.

GS1920-24HPv2 is connected to NW1123 on Port 2.

and your VLAN requirements

I´ve created in the Switch three VLANS:

1-Trunk for connecting AP´s
    10- My own devices (SSID USER_NW)
    20-Guests

here's a suggested switch VLAN configuration:

• SW Port 4 (connected to a VLAN-capable router):
      • PVID=1
      • VLAN 1(tag), VLAN10(tag), VLAN20(tag)
    • SW Port 2 (connected to AP NWA1123-AC-PRO):
      • PVID=1
      • VLAN1(tag), VLAN10(tag), VLAN20(tag)

For more detailed instructions on switch VLAN configuration, you can refer to this tutorial article:

Kay

• Hubbi
    Options

Hi Kay,

much thanks for your information.

you´re right… the FritzBox (well known and widespread (much in use) here in Germany) doesn´t support VLANS, but I have to use the FritzBox because of the integrated Fibre (Glasfaser) Modem. (As far as i know, there is no device from Zyxel which is a router with an integrated Fribre Modem.

Do i assuming right, that the following configuration should work?:

FritzBox (Fibre) (configured as bridge and static IP) (Port x)→ SCR 50 AXE (provides the DHCP Server and the corresponding VLAN configuration (Intern, Guests, etc.)) (Port y)→ GS1920-24HPv2 (distribute the VLANS) (Port z) → NW1123-AC-PRO.

best regards

Hubbi

• Hubbi
    Options

two additional questions regarding AP NW1123-AC-PRO.

currently i created a MAC-Filter in one WLAN Profile.

question 1: is there any possibility to see which clients (devices) currently are connected and take over there MAC address into the Filter, or do i have to take my pencil and paper write it down and enter it manually into the Filter list?

question 2: if clients are connected (WLAN) it is possible to add remarks or "clear Names" or do i see only the IP-Adress?

thanks for your patients with me :-)

regards
    Hubbi

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi @Hubbi

Do i assuming right, that the following configuration should work?:

FritzBox (Fibre) (configured as bridge and static IP) (Port x)→ SCR 50 AXE (provides the DHCP Server and the corresponding VLAN configuration (Intern, Guests, etc.)) (Port y)→ GS1920-24HPv2 (distribute the VLANS) (Port z) → NW1123-AC-PRO.

Yes, your proposed configuration should work effectively. By incorporating the SCR 50AXE as your DHCP server and managing VLAN configurations, you may achieve your requirement.

question 1: is there any possibility to see which clients (devices) currently are connected and take over there MAC address into the Filter, or do i have to take my pencil and paper write it down and enter it manually into the Filter list?

In standalone mode, the AP allows you to view connected clients via MONITOR > Wireless > Station Info. However, adding MAC addresses to the MAC filtering profile isn’t automated; manual entry is needed.

question 2: if clients are connected (WLAN) it is possible to add remarks or "clear Names" or do i see only the IP-Adress?

In standalone mode, detailed client names or remarks aren't available, only IP addresses are shown.

For more convenient client management, consider using your AP in Nebula cloud mode. In this mode, you can easily view and manage clients under Nebula Control Center > Site-wide > Client interface. This provides more flexibility and control over client details and policy features.

For more information on Nebula's client policy features, this article may be helpful:

Kay

• Hubbi
    Options

Hi Kay,
    thanks very very much for your help!

I really appreciate it !!!

i´ll try out the Nebula Cloud soon

best regards
    Hubbi