Low performance on NWA50AX

Options

Hi!

I recently installed a single NWA50AX for a client. After successful deployment I went and tested the speed. While I did not expect for Wifi speeds to reach 1Gbps I was quite surprised to see that speed measurements showed speed of max 400Mbps.
Configuration:
-1st NWA50AX
- Wifi settings: BSSID on 5GHz @80 MHz(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks are separated)
- Distance between station and AP (2-5 meters).
- ISP speed 1Gbps up and down(ISP gateway is gigabit capable).

Tests were carried out on Wifi 6 compatible devices(Iphone 12 and Lenovo laptop with Wifi ax Wireless NIC( Nebula shows link speed of 1200Mbps)).

I tried changing the channel to a less saturated one without any improvements.
Accesspoint runs in Nebula with latest firmware.

I also measured by hard wiring a laptop directly to LAN outlet(I received a speed above 700Mbps which what ISP advertises)

Am I doing something wrong or is the device in question not capable of delivering higher speeds than written above.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 518  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @dukisha016

Your thought to disable Assisted roaming and 802.11r for a single AP setup is right, as these features are more beneficial in multi-AP environments.

Per your radio settings, client signal strength, and channel utilization, everything appears to be fine.

Please note that Wi-Fi environments are dynamic. Regular observation and adjustment of settings as needed can help maintain optimal performance.

Best regards

Zyxel Nami

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Dear @dukisha016

You mentioned getting a maximum speed of 400 Mbps. Could you clarify the speed test scenario if this is the intranet speed test between the AP and the end device (via iPerf) or the internet speed test result? Also, please let us know which speed test app you used for this measurement.

For a more accurate speed test, we recommend following the guidelines provided here: Speed Test Guidelines.

Tests were carried out on Wifi 6 compatible devices(Iphone 12 and Lenovo laptop with Wifi ax Wireless NIC( Nebula shows link speed of 1200Mbps)).

⇒ Regarding 1200Mbps, did you mean the Link in the Status section as below screenshot?

Wi-Fi speeds can fluctuate based on numerous variables, and understanding the specific conditions of your test will help us provide more targeted assistance.

Zyxel Nami

• dukisha016
    dukisha016 Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Nami

Regarding 1200Mbps, did you mean the Link in the Status section as below screenshot?

This is the link speed(TTx and Rx rate) between the accespoint and the associated stations. Information regarding the link speed is found at Site Wide>Devices> Access Point><My Access Point> in the associated stations section. You are referring to the uplink which is 1000M.

I am aware that Wifi speeds will fluctuate which is why I am asking if the access point is capable of delivering the advertised speeds. If the access point is capable of delivering the speed that is close to advertised(again the uplink is 1000M so speed can not be greater than that) then I can shift my focus to something else.

Your answer is greatly appreciated

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @dukisha016,

Thank you for clarifying the mentioned link speed.

The wireless speed of 575Mbps with 2.4GHz and 1200Mbps with 5GHz as seen on the NWA50AX product page is a theoretical maximum speed under ideal conditions.

In reality, wireless throughput – the actual data speed that can be achieved – is typically lower than the transmission rate due to overhead such as encryption, packet headers, and environmental factors that cause interference. In optimal conditions, the practical maximum speed may achieve 60-70% capacity per band. Our local tests using an Intel AX200 (5G/ax/160MHz/2*2) showed speeds of 778 Mbps (Tx) and 632 Mbps (Rx), indicating that the AP is capable of delivering speeds close to 700 Mbps.

To further optimize wireless speed, consider the following adjustments:

1. Fine-tune the deployment of your AP's location, ensuring a signal strength of –70dBm or above for ONE client connection.
    2. Adjust radio settings: Go to Configure > Access point > Radio settings. Select the Deployment selection according to your number of APs or adjust your 2.4GHz radio
      power to 5dBm lower than your 5GHz radio.
    3. Enable DCS as below
    4. Increase your WLAN rate control for 2.4GHz to 5.5Mbps, while 5Ghz to 12Mbps.

Zyxel Nami

• dukisha016
    dukisha016 Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Nami

I am enclosing some screenshots showing the current settings. Is there anything that needs altering?

And thank you for sharing the testing results regarding the NWA50AX performance.

I will alter Increase your WLAN rate control for 2.4GHz to 5.5Mbps, while 5Ghz to 12Mbps later today.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @dukisha016

Your thought to disable Assisted roaming and 802.11r for a single AP setup is right, as these features are more beneficial in multi-AP environments.

Per your radio settings, client signal strength, and channel utilization, everything appears to be fine.

Please note that Wi-Fi environments are dynamic. Regular observation and adjustment of settings as needed can help maintain optimal performance.

Best regards

Zyxel Nami

• saltet
    saltet Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Options

Hi.
    thanks for a informative thread.
    I have also a question from Sweden.
    What is wlan control setting. I try to get information to push on the i bottom but it will not work. Neither when asking the AI section.
    I have a mobile router 5101 and six ap - one 650s and the rest nwa50.
    what will change if I make the suggested changes. Today I have the bars to left as it is as standard.
    Regards

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @saltet

The WLAN Rate Control Setting is a feature that allows users to configure the transmission rate of their Access Point (AP). This feature is useful for limiting the transmission rate of clients connected to the AP, which can be helpful in optimizing your wireless network performance.

For more detailed information, please check out the FAQ provided in the link below:

Regarding the AI feature, Intent, it provides a pathway to access specific features within the system. After knowing the location, you may want to learn more about the feature. All feature definitions are provided at Help > select the section that includes the feature you are interested in, and search for a keyword (for example: WLAN Rate Control).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Zyxel Nami

• saltet
    saltet Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Options

Thanks a lot for the answer. Now have I change the wlan setting according to your recommendation.