Is my VLAN configuration correct?

Options
Peter Tselios
Peter Tselios Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments
edited December 2023 in Switch

Hello,

This is my first attempt to configure VLANs on my home office network.

I have a GS1900-8HP as my primary switch and a couple of Ubiquiti mini (that will be configured later)

I need to setup 4 VLANs on the network:

1. VLAN 1 is the untagged, PVID that will be used for all network traffic from Wifi and other PCs on the network
  2. VLAN 10 is a network that will be used from the Guest network
  3. VLAN 120 is a network that will be used from the home lab servers/devices
  4. VLAN 121 is the storage network

What I need is:
Port 1,5,8 on the switch should allow traffic from all the above networks/VLANs. Port 1 is connected to the main router.

All other ports should only allow traffic from VLAN/PVID 1.

My current configuration is:

And:

And (the following is identical for VLANs 10, 120, 121:

My questions are:

1. Is this configuration the correct one?

2. Is traffic isolated? I am asking because I don't fully understand the meaning of the "Ingress Check" and VLAN Trunk options on the first picture. Do I have to enable them for all ports, or just the ports that have the VLANs assigned?

3. Do I need to enable VLAN Trunk on ports 1,5,8? I have it enabled, but I think it's not needed since those ports are not used as an uplink to another switch.

4. Regarding the isolation, will my current setup ensure that if I setup a machine that will send tagged traffic (let's say 121) on port 3, the traffic will be blocked?

Best Answers

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,656  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited January 3 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Peter Tselios,

The configuration is correct if ports 5 and 8 are connecting to other switches. If not, what device are you going to connect? In addition, you may reference this FAQ to set up VLANs.

2. Is traffic isolated? I am asking because I don't fully understand the meaning of the "Ingress Check" and VLAN Trunk options on the first picture. Do I have to enable them for all ports, or just the ports that have the VLANs assigned?

VLAN is used to separate the different broadcast domains, so the traffic is isolated. But if you have a router/firewall, different VLANs can communicate with each other via routing. (When you have set VLAN interfaces on it.) You need to set policy rules on the router/firewall to isolate different VLANs.

"Ingress Check" and "VLAN trunk" are not used to isolate traffic.

"Ingress Check" is used to check the VLAN tags of incoming packets that are the VLAN members of the port. If not, the packet will be dropped.

"VLAN trunk" is used to forward unknown VLAN packets. Since you have designed your VLANs, you don't need to enable the VLAN trunk. By the way, you may reference this FAQ for the VLAN trunk.

3. Do I need to enable VLAN Trunk on ports 1,5,8? I have it enabled, but I think it's not needed since those ports are not used as an uplink to another switch.

Please reference the above reply.

4. Regarding the isolation, will my current setup ensure that if I setup a machine that will send tagged traffic (let's say 121) on port 3, the traffic will be blocked?

If you mean the TCP traffic, the traffic will be blocked since port 3 is not VLAN 121's member. Additionally, if you want to be more secure, you can enable the ingress check. This will drop all packets, like the broadcast packets and the UDP packets, from this machine.

Zyxel Melen

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,770  Guru Member
    edited January 2 Answer ✓
    Options

Ok here is a setup to isolate to LAN

Port 1 is uplink VLAN3

Port 2 PC A VLAN1

Port 3 PC B VLAN2

To add another isolation say port4 make a new VLAN say 10 untag 1 and 4 with PVID 10 on port 4 all others Forbidden and on VLAN3 fixed (untag) on port 4

All Replies

• PeterUK
    edited January 1
    Options

VLANs work when you have a router that supports VLANs by subnets

Right now VLAN 1 is used for everything no isolation a port based VLAN (which your switch don't support) might be what you need if you don't look at getting a router

here is what I port based VLAN would look like

port 8 is uplink to router

ports 1,9 and 10 are isolated from other ports

ports 2-4 can see each other but not ports 5-7

ports 5-7 can see each other but not ports 2-4

• Peter Tselios
    Options

I don't need port-based VLANs, or at least I haven't planned to segregate the swutch ports like this.

I still don't understand points 2,3.

• PeterUK
    Options

What router do you have? how is it setup?

• Zyxel_Melen
    edited January 3 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Peter Tselios,

The configuration is correct if ports 5 and 8 are connecting to other switches. If not, what device are you going to connect? In addition, you may reference this FAQ to set up VLANs.

VLAN is used to separate the different broadcast domains, so the traffic is isolated. But if you have a router/firewall, different VLANs can communicate with each other via routing. (When you have set VLAN interfaces on it.) You need to set policy rules on the router/firewall to isolate different VLANs.

"Ingress Check" and "VLAN trunk" are not used to isolate traffic.

"Ingress Check" is used to check the VLAN tags of incoming packets that are the VLAN members of the port. If not, the packet will be dropped.

"VLAN trunk" is used to forward unknown VLAN packets. Since you have designed your VLANs, you don't need to enable the VLAN trunk. By the way, you may reference this FAQ for the VLAN trunk.

Please reference the above reply.

If you mean the TCP traffic, the traffic will be blocked since port 3 is not VLAN 121's member. Additionally, if you want to be more secure, you can enable the ingress check. This will drop all packets, like the broadcast packets and the UDP packets, from this machine.

Zyxel Melen

• PeterUK
    edited January 2 Answer ✓
    Options

Ok here is a setup to isolate to LAN

Port 1 is uplink VLAN3

Port 2 PC A VLAN1

Port 3 PC B VLAN2

To add another isolation say port4 make a new VLAN say 10 untag 1 and 4 with PVID 10 on port 4 all others Forbidden and on VLAN3 fixed (untag) on port 4

• Peter Tselios
    Options

Many thanks to both of you.

If anyone is interested, ports 1,5 are connected to the main router and another openwrt-based AP and they are VLAN aware.

PoPort 8 is another switch I plan to integrate that's why I asked about the storage VLAN.

• Zyxel_Melen
    Options

Hi @Peter Tselios

Since ports 5 and 8 are connected with VLAN-aware devices, your configuration is correct.

Zyxel Melen