WLAN with NWA55AXE

Options
Niro96
Niro96 Posts: 56  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments

Is it possible to operate the NWA55AXE as a WLAN amplifier without a LAN connection? I don't have a LAN connection in the garden house.

greeting
Marcus

Best Answers

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 952  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

Yes, all Zyxel access points, including the NWA55AXE, can function as a Repeater AP (essentially a WLAN amplifier without a direct LAN connection) as long as there is another Zyxel AP serving as the Root AP.

To help you set up a mesh (wireless connection) between two Zyxel APs, we have FAQs tailored for different modes of operation:

1. Standalone mode: How to set up the ZyMesh of APs managed by the controller? — Zyxel Community
    2. Nebula cloud mode: [Nebula] How to extend wireless coverage by configure smart mesh? — Zyxel Community
    3. Controller mode: How to set up the ZyMesh of APs managed by the controller? — Zyxel Community

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Niro96 ,

We would like to explain the workings of the smart mesh and wireless bridge mechanism.

As of now, if a repeater AP with wireless bridge enabled connects to a root AP that does not support this function (such as the NWA50AX PRO in your scenario), the repeater AP will attempt to utilize the wireless bridge feature. However, due to the root AP's lack of support, the repeater AP will disconnect from it after 30 minutes to search for other root APs that support wireless bridge.

If the repeater AP fails to find any suitable root APs in the current network environment, it will eventually reconnect to the original root AP. This process results in the issue you've observed.

To avoid this, please disable the wireless bridge function if it is not required. It's crucial to note that for the wireless bridge feature to work properly, both the root AP and the repeater AP must support the wireless bridge functionality.

All Replies

• Niro96
    Options

I think the WX3100-T0 is in this situation better.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

Yes, all Zyxel access points, including the NWA55AXE, can function as a Repeater AP (essentially a WLAN amplifier without a direct LAN connection) as long as there is another Zyxel AP serving as the Root AP.

To help you set up a mesh (wireless connection) between two Zyxel APs, we have FAQs tailored for different modes of operation:

1. Standalone mode: How to set up the ZyMesh of APs managed by the controller? — Zyxel Community
    2. Nebula cloud mode: [Nebula] How to extend wireless coverage by configure smart mesh? — Zyxel Community
    3. Controller mode: How to set up the ZyMesh of APs managed by the controller? — Zyxel Community

• Niro96
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I had already tried these options yesterday without instructions.
    Maybe I made a mistake. A question about the instructions for Nebula cloud mode.
    The step is to deactivate the downlink mesh on the AP. Where do you find this setting?
    And does LAN mean the AP or the repeater?

greeting Marcus

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @Niro96 ,

The step is to deactivate the downlink mesh on the AP. Where do you find this setting?

Device > Access points > AP information page > Status > Smart mesh.

If you wish to prevent any Repeater AP from connecting to this AP, please disable the Downlink feature.

And does LAN mean the AP or the repeater?

I'm not entirely clear on your question. Just as a reminder, Nebula's Smart Mesh allows you to connect two or more APs wirelessly, without the need for Ethernet cables.

• Niro96
    Options

Many thanks for the answer. Based on the screenshots I can understand where I have to set it.
    I'll adjust the setting tonight. And I'll get back to you about this later.
    The question "And does LAN mean the AP or the repeater?" was wrong. 😉

• Niro96
    Options

Many thanks for the help. It works.
    greeting
    Marcus

• Niro96
    Options

With the settings I have made, I have regular connection failures.
    Could it be due to the distance between the root AP and the NWA55AXE?

• Niro96
    Options

Even after I reduced the distance, the NWA55AXE stopped working regularly.

greetings Marcus

• Niro96
    Options

Hello,

I have now deactivated the wireless bridge mode. Now it runs without any problems.

greeting
    Marcus

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Niro96 ,

We would like to explain the workings of the smart mesh and wireless bridge mechanism.

As of now, if a repeater AP with wireless bridge enabled connects to a root AP that does not support this function (such as the NWA50AX PRO in your scenario), the repeater AP will attempt to utilize the wireless bridge feature. However, due to the root AP's lack of support, the repeater AP will disconnect from it after 30 minutes to search for other root APs that support wireless bridge.

If the repeater AP fails to find any suitable root APs in the current network environment, it will eventually reconnect to the original root AP. This process results in the issue you've observed.

To avoid this, please disable the wireless bridge function if it is not required. It's crucial to note that for the wireless bridge feature to work properly, both the root AP and the repeater AP must support the wireless bridge functionality.