GS1100-16 switch off EEE?

Options

Is it possible to switch EEE off in the GS1100-16?

I intend to use it for Dante, however the GS1100-16 is on Audinate’s Dante incompatibility list because of EEE.

I’m hoping it can be disabled via a dip switch or jumper on the pcb.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 496  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Mixing_Lane

I understand your concern about the EEE feature in your audio setup. To clarify, the GS1100-16 model does not come equipped with an internal dip switch or jumper to disable the EEE function.

However, if EEE is disabled on the connected device, this function will be inactive, ensuring it doesn't interfere with the performance of your network. Therefore, you can rest assured that EEE will not cause any latency or delays in your audio transmission.

Regarding the image shared by PeterUK, it indeed represents an older version of the GS1100-16, which had the EEE button. However, this version is now End-of-Life (EOL), and current models (GS1100-16 REVISION B1, PART No.: GS1100-16-EU0103F, GS1100-16-US0103F) do not feature this button. (The product photos are updated on our website, sorry for confusing caused)

If you need any further assistance or have more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Zyxel Nami

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,792  Guru Member
    edited January 19
    Options

You would need to get a managed switch

from what I can tell only GS1100-10HP and GS1100-24E have the option..then again

guess it depends on the Revision you have

• Mixing_Lane
    Options

@PeterUK Thanks for the info. Bummer, I bought the wrong version! I noticed the the button/switch on the picture you shared to switch off the Energy Saving. I don't have that on mine.
    Now, does anyone know if it would be possible to internally switch-off energy saving in my version?
    (GS1100-16-EU0103F)

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited January 22
    Options

Hello @Mixing_Lane and @PeterUK

As shown in the User Guide, the GS1100-16-EU0103F doesn't come with the EEE button. Currently, this button can be found on the GS1100-10HP only.

@Mixing_Lane

To support you better, we would like to understand your usage scenario with Dante and GS1100-16, could you please share it with us?

Thank you

Zyxel Nami

• Mixing_Lane
    Options

Thank you Nami.

A digital mixing console with a Dante card, a Neutrik NA2-IO-DLINE (audio input for Dante) with a POE injector, MacBook (with Audinate Dante Controller, Audinate Virtual Soundcard, and Sennheiser WSM) the Zyxel switch, a router and 8x Sennheiser EW IEM G4.

The Audinate Dante network does not need a router, however, the Sennheiser do. My MacBook’s Ethernet is connected to the router, the Sennheisers and Dante equipment are all connected to the switch. The switch is connected to the router.

As Dante is used for audio, there must be lowest latency and no delay (caused by eee) in startup of the switch or ‘sleeping’ when there is temporarily no audio, as that will cause audio to be interrupted or delayed. Hence the necessity to be able to switch off eee.

The Sennheisers are connected to be remotely managed and that is not time critical.

Best regards, Arie

• Mixing_Lane
    Options

@Zyxel_Nami A sper your request

• Mixing_Lane
    Options

@Zyxel_Nami I'm puzzled.
    "the GS1100-16-EU0103F doesn't come with the EEE-button"
    Understood. The question is still; Is there maybe an internal dip-switch, or jumper or other internally on the print enabling me to switch EEE off?

"Currently, this button can be found on the GS1100-10HP only"
    As shown by @PeterUK, apparently, there is/was a version of the GS1100 with the said EEE-button. A quick search learns me that it is still advertised for sale with the EEE-switch-off-button pictured. I wonder; are those pictures than incorrect? Is that an old version (I can't be bothered with that)? Is that EEE-switch-off-button on advertised GS1100-16 indeed working? Reason for asking is that the amount of connection (16) in combination with the form factor is ideal for me. If buying a GS1100-16 with EEE-switch-off-button is the solution, I'll do that.
    Appreciate your feedback. Thank you, Arie

• Zyxel_Nami
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Mixing_Lane

I understand your concern about the EEE feature in your audio setup. To clarify, the GS1100-16 model does not come equipped with an internal dip switch or jumper to disable the EEE function.

However, if EEE is disabled on the connected device, this function will be inactive, ensuring it doesn't interfere with the performance of your network. Therefore, you can rest assured that EEE will not cause any latency or delays in your audio transmission.

Regarding the image shared by PeterUK, it indeed represents an older version of the GS1100-16, which had the EEE button. However, this version is now End-of-Life (EOL), and current models (GS1100-16 REVISION B1, PART No.: GS1100-16-EU0103F, GS1100-16-US0103F) do not feature this button. (The product photos are updated on our website, sorry for confusing caused)

If you need any further assistance or have more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Zyxel Nami

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @Mixing_Lane

In case you're interested in the GS1100-10HP model, I'd like to clarify a key detail for you. It's important to know that the GS1100-10HP model, which features an EEE button, is also the earlier version. The current version available in the market is the GS1100-10HP (Revision B1), and this particular revision does not include an EEE button.

Please see the below image for reference.

Zyxel Nami

• Mixing_Lane
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Nami thanks for the info. I'm not interested in the GS1100-10HP model as 8 ports is not enough. Adding an SFP adds to the price and than other solutions are possible for same investment.

I have to say that I find it difficult to find information on the ZyXEL website about the different versions of equipment. Hence my mistake buying one without the IEEE802.3az button.

Although I appreciate your "if EEE is disabled on the connected device, this function will be inactive, ensuring it doesn't interfere with the performance of your network", in live audio, I just can't take the risk especially not since the GS1100-16 is on the Audinate incompatibility list. https://www.audinate.com/learning/faqs/can-i-use-eee-energy-efficient-ethernet-or-green-ethernet-in-my-dante-network
    Whether or not the information of Audinate is correct/up-to-date or not, I can't ignore it. Without saying that the GS1100-16 is not good, I made the wrong choice for my application. Most probably I keep the GS1100-16 as a sub net only for the Sennheisers and buy a separate (Dante compatible) switch for the Dante network. A Switch in which I can switch-off IEEE802.3az so most probably that will have to be a managed switch.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @Mixing_Lane

We sincerely apologize for any confusion caused. We have escalated the issue and are taking steps to enhance our online resources.

Regarding your requirement for a switch tailored to audio networks, we recommend our Networked AV solution, which is well-suited for Dante networks.

https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/solutions/use-case/networked-av

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Zyxel Nami