Link Aggregation - 10G & 1G

Options
mickypen
mickypen Posts: 17  Freshman Member
10 Comments

Hi,

I have a PC with a 10Gbe NIC and a NAS with a 10Gbe NIC and two 1Gbe NICs.

If I connect both 10Gbe NICs to the Zyxel switch as well as my TV, someone can watch something on the TV streaming from the NAS. If I then copy a large file (a 4K film for example) from my PC to the NAS, it often causes the connection from the NAS to the TV to fail.

I have also tried connecting all three NICs on the NAs to the switch (using link aggregation for the two 1G ports). While this increases stability, it is still not bulletproof, plus the router decides to copy the files from my PC to the NAS at just 1Gbps for some reason!

I cannot use a VLAN because my router does not support it.

I also cannot link aggregate the 10G port with any of the 1G ports because the Zyxel switch does not offer that option. Is there a way around this, so that I can create a LAG with the 10G port and will it solve the problems?

Does anyone have any other suggestions apart from creating a separate LAN for the 10G ports with a second router (or buying a VLAN capable router)?

Best Answers

• mickypen
    10 Comments
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think that you are completely missing the point of my enquiry so I am going to post my question elsewhere where I hope to get the answer I need.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 962  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @mickypen ,

It seems the issue is that whole the 10G bandwidth is occupied by the PC when copying 4k file from NAS leading to Samsung TV disconnected. Based on the limited information you've provided, we can suggest two methods that may fulfill your needs, ensuring the 10G connection between the NAS and PC stays within VLAN1.

If there are the separate interfaces with NAS ports, you can try to create a different VLAN for the Samsung TV traffic, so it will not be affected by PC. The switch port PVID should be 2 (with VLAN2 untag member) where the connections to NAS 1G ports and the Router. It's not necessary to use a router equipped with VLAN capabilities.

You can refer to this FAQ to know how to configure VLAN for web-managed switch.

Method 1:

Maintaining your current network topology while adjusting the VLAN settings as described. Please be aware that this configuration does not provide an Internet connection to the PC.

Method 2:

Moving the TV connecting to XGS1250 VLAN2, and keep the link between XGS1250 and the router in VLAN1. Therefore, it fulfilled the PC to access the internet and copy files in VLAN1 and TV streaming in VLAN2 at the same time.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @mickypen ,

Based on your description, it appears the issue involves difficulty streaming video from the NAS to the TV while simultaneously transferring 4K video from the PC to the NAS.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the issue so we can understand the symptoms in more detail, as whether the screen freezes, displays unclearly, or experiences other problems? Additionally, a screenshot of the NAS utilization during the occurrence of this issue would be helpful.

Information on the entire network topology, including each device and the specific port it is connected to, would also be valuable in diagnosing the problem.

• mickypen
    10 Comments
    Options

I cannot provide a screenshot of the TV, it just says "Device disconnected" and I have to wait for the TV to find it again for a few minutes.

How do I get a screenshot of the NAS Utilization?

I have a TerraMaster F8-422

Here is a diagram of my network

The NAS and the PC each have one 10Gb ethernet and two 1Gb ethernet ports

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi there,

Thank you for your topology. Could you specify which Switch port is being used to connect to the devices? For example, the port 3 on the switch is connected to NAS's 10GB port.

Please refer to the TerraMaster F8-422 User Guide for instructions on how to check the utilization of your TerraMaster F8-422 NAS.

• mickypen
    10 Comments
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think that you are completely missing the point of my enquiry so I am going to post my question elsewhere where I hope to get the answer I need.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @mickypen ,

It seems the issue is that whole the 10G bandwidth is occupied by the PC when copying 4k file from NAS leading to Samsung TV disconnected. Based on the limited information you've provided, we can suggest two methods that may fulfill your needs, ensuring the 10G connection between the NAS and PC stays within VLAN1.

If there are the separate interfaces with NAS ports, you can try to create a different VLAN for the Samsung TV traffic, so it will not be affected by PC. The switch port PVID should be 2 (with VLAN2 untag member) where the connections to NAS 1G ports and the Router. It's not necessary to use a router equipped with VLAN capabilities.

You can refer to this FAQ to know how to configure VLAN for web-managed switch.

Method 1:

Maintaining your current network topology while adjusting the VLAN settings as described. Please be aware that this configuration does not provide an Internet connection to the PC.

Method 2:

Moving the TV connecting to XGS1250 VLAN2, and keep the link between XGS1250 and the router in VLAN1. Therefore, it fulfilled the PC to access the internet and copy files in VLAN1 and TV streaming in VLAN2 at the same time.