GS1900-8HP A.1 down after upgrade to 2.70(AAHI.5)C0

Options
yorick
yorick Posts: 4
First Comment
edited February 26 in Switch

I have an old GS1900-8HP revision A.1 that was on firmware 2.60. After upgrade to 2.70(AAHI.5)C0 on the boot partition I lost access. I connected directly and got an address on VLAN.1 (should have been 10), which suggests it lost its configuration. I tried factory resetting and connecting to http://192.168.1.1, again directly connected to port 1 with a static IP set on the laptop - no luck.

The switch works as an unmanaged switch. If I connect an uplink cable and devices then the devices get IPs on VLAN.1.

I tried a ping to 192.168.1.1 and checked arp. There is no arp entry for 192.168.1.1. The switch does not respond on that IP.

There's a backup partition in there but I'm guessing that doesn't kick in if the switch actually boots. How do I get access back to it?

Accepted Solution

• yorick
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

I got access back after connecting a serial cable. It's a DTECH USB to TTL Serial (3.3V) and oddly enough I had to connect white to RX and green to TX, not the other way around. Black for GND and 115,200. Just for reference should others read this.

I am not sure that I actually did anything on serial other than log in, but I have access back and could upgrade to 2.80, and from there recreate the configuration.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 962  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 27
    Options

Hi @yorick ,

I suggest you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this thread and keep us informed about your progress.

FYI: At the time of this writing, the latest firmware version for the GS1900-8HP is 2.80(AAHI.0)C0 .

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• yorick
    First Comment
    Options

I did Method 2, isolated the switch, assigned a static IP to my laptop, and nada. Even after factory reset of the switch. Not even an ARP response.

I'll get a serial cable tomorrow and shall see what that gives me.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 962  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi there,

Have you pressed and held the RESET button of GS1900-8HP revision A for more than 6 seconds until the PWR LED turns amber? This action will revert the switch to its default settings to have the 192.168.1.1 as the login default IP.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• yorick
    First Comment
    edited February 27
    Options

Yes, I believe I did. I see all port LEDs go solid after releasing the reset button, then the activity LED under power starts flashing rapidly, then the ports eventually become active again.

Tested it two more times, holding for 15 seconds each. The power LED does not turn amber.

- Hold button - no change in LEDs from normal operation
    - Release button after 15s:
    - Power LED green
    - Activity LED (under power) green and flashing
    - All port LEDs solid
    - Bottom port LEDs solid
    - Top port LEDs solid
    - All port LEDs off
    - Activity LED keeps flashing
    - Eventually port LEDs start behaving according to the cables plugged into them
    - All ports act as if they're untagged
    - Switch does not respond on 192.168.1.1, an attempt to ping that IP shows no ARP entry

It's odd behavior, just as odd as losing its configuration in the first place, which shouldn't have happened on upgrade.

I'll see what the serial port can tell me, later today when I get the cable.

• yorick
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

I got access back after connecting a serial cable. It's a DTECH USB to TTL Serial (3.3V) and oddly enough I had to connect white to RX and green to TX, not the other way around. Black for GND and 115,200. Just for reference should others read this.

I am not sure that I actually did anything on serial other than log in, but I have access back and could upgrade to 2.80, and from there recreate the configuration.