Wi-Fi connection unstable when many devices are connected at the same time

Options
emuda
emuda Posts: 6
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment

Hi,

We have been having issue with Wi-Fi connectivity when 30 or more users (devices) are connected simultaneously.

There are some rooms that accommodate up to 100 users or more. Those are the only rooms with issues. When we have 10-20 users with their laptops/mobile phones, everything is fine. BUT the issue comes when they are 30 or more (mostly between 80-100). That's when issues starts. we have 6 APs in that room-More than enough i believe (room is about 320 sqm). Roaming works just fine.

Issue: random users keep being disconnected randomly, loosing connectivity to the APs (WIFI) and back, and so on. Release renew helps briefly. among 90 users connected, 15-20 get disconnected randomly, and sometime are required to be moved to the different rooms. it happens at least to every user in different time/days.

This also happens on outdoor APs when more than 50 users are connected

Possible solutions i tried:

I renewed controller firmware-USG FLEX 700 (now V5.37(ABWD.2)as well as APs, but in vain.

I will appreciate your support to help solving this issue.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 944  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @emuda

It appears that the connection issues with the AP may be due to a high-density environment, where a large number of devices are connected to the network. Please consult this FAQ to determine if it can help resolve the issue.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• emuda
    Options

Hi Judy,

thank you for quick response.

I have tried most of these recommendations but nothing changed.

With 6 APs in the room of that size, i would say we have enough of APs for coverage.

with 100 users connected, In average each AP should have 17 devices. Coverage is enough when number is small in all corners of the room.

these are the current configs.
    2.4 Ghz:

channel width is 20/40 mhz

DSC client aware: enabled

channel selection method: auto

channel deployment: 3 channels deployment

5 Ghz:

channel width is 20/40/80 mhz (support up to 160mHz)

Channel selection: DSC

DSC client aware: enabled

channel selection method: auto

5G DFS channel: avoided

Thanks

• Zyxel_Judy
    edited April 26
    Options

Hello!

You can adjust several current configurations to enhance your wireless environment, it may address intermittent connectivity issues. Please follow the steps below:

If the issue persists after these adjustments, we kindly ask you to download the diagnostic file after the intermittent connectivity occurs again. Additionally, please share with us the specific time and the client MAC address that experienced a disconnection, loss of connectivity to the APs, and reconnection.
    To provide this information and the diagnostic file securely, please send them privately by navigating to my account and selecting "Message".

• emuda
    Options

Hi Judy,

Thanks for directions. i have made changes accordingly (except  Storm control, as i could not find it in the settings-Flex 700)and will wait for users to gather in the room in order to do my tests. This is because the issue doesn't happen till we have more than 20 users.

Regards.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @emuda ,

If you are utilizing the Flex 700 as your AP Controller, to configure Storm Control, please navigate to Monitor > Wireless > AP Information > AP List > Edit AP.
    It is important to note that this feature will only be visible if AP is a supported model. To verify whether your AP model supports this feature, refer to the User Guide or Datasheet.

• emuda
    Options

Hi Judy,

i tried to check and i don't seem to have such option, assuming all my APs are not supported? I have WAC6552D-S, WAC6503D-S, WAC5302D-S, etc.

I apologize for delayed response.

Regards

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @emuda ,

You're right. Most APs that support the AC standard, including the models listed as WAC6552D-S, WAC6503D-S, WAC5302D-S, do not support storm control.

• emuda
    Options

Hi Judy,

I guess the next option is this. I will share with you this file today.

Regards

• emuda
    Options