Physical Port Utilization for a GS1008HP

LGX
LGX Posts: 1

I currently have a network configured with the following,

• Zyxel GS2220-10 switch (no PoE), F/W Version 4.80
  • Zyxel GS1008HP
  • Zyxel NWA50AX access points (5), F/W Version 6.29(2)

The GS2220 is configured to support 4 vlans on each NWA50AX access point and the GS1008 switch is in place for PoE of each access point.

I have 6 ports being utilized on the GS1008, (the 5 access points and one uplink to the GS2220 switch) and I would like to utilize the other 2 ports on the GS1008 for other non PoE devices that will be on specific vlan.

If possible, how can I configure the GS2220 switch so that I can utilize the open ports on the GS1008 switch ?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 989  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    edited March 20 Answer ✓

Hi @LGX

If your scenario is as follows:

• Port 1 of your GS2220-10 is connected to a DHCP server.
    • Port 2 of your GS2220-10 is connected to the GS1008HP switch.

And you have your access points distributed across VLANs 10, 20, 30, and 40, while you want to connect non-PoE devices on VLAN 50, here's how you can configure the VLAN settings:

• Assign VLANs 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 to Fixed Ports 1 and 2.
    • Create a security policy to block traffic between VLANs 10, 20, 30, 40, and VLAN 50.

If your non-PoE device cannot handle VLAN tags (ex: PC, printer,…) , you can assign it to VLAN 50 using MAC-based VLAN setup by configuring its MAC address to VID50.

This configuration should allow you to effectively utilize the additional ports on the GS1008HP for your specific VLAN needs.

Let me know if you need further assistance!

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 989  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    edited March 20 Answer ✓

Hi @LGX

If your scenario is as follows:

• Port 1 of your GS2220-10 is connected to a DHCP server.
    • Port 2 of your GS2220-10 is connected to the GS1008HP switch.

And you have your access points distributed across VLANs 10, 20, 30, and 40, while you want to connect non-PoE devices on VLAN 50, here's how you can configure the VLAN settings:

• Assign VLANs 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 to Fixed Ports 1 and 2.
    • Create a security policy to block traffic between VLANs 10, 20, 30, 40, and VLAN 50.

If your non-PoE device cannot handle VLAN tags (ex: PC, printer,…) , you can assign it to VLAN 50 using MAC-based VLAN setup by configuring its MAC address to VID50.

This configuration should allow you to effectively utilize the additional ports on the GS1008HP for your specific VLAN needs.

Let me know if you need further assistance!

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP