MAC based VLAN return path

Options
PeterUK
PeterUK Posts: 2,770  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited March 29 in Switch

When a untag packets comes in on a different VLAN to the VID that packets egress out by MAC based VLAN the return path on the given Ingress port allows the switch to send traffic back from source MAC entered with that destination MAC plus broadcast out the set Egress port as untag.

Example

All Replies

• PeterUK
    edited March 27
    Options

Well...thats annoying now it works so I guess its working as its meant too was trying for hours anyway one more thing I learnt

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 568  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @PeterUK

To better understand your idea, I would like to clarify whether your main achievement involves setting up the MAC-based VLAN for a specific device within the MAC-based VLAN interface. In this scenario, would there be no need to apply any VLAN configuration on the Static VLAN interface? Or would the settings be synchronized with the configuration of the Static VLAN interface, fixing the VLAN on certain ports where the ingress port is tagged and the egress port is untagged?

Kay

• PeterUK
    edited March 28
    Options

Well like I said its now working must of set it up wrong thanks

The setup I was testing on shows you have devices on a unmanaged switch but you need a device to go to another subnet VLAN when I was testing I could only get traffic like DHCP by MAC based VLAN to the USG but then how to return a DHCP offer back to the device which now I know if the VLAN 6 of the upper switch is fixed on port 10 thats the return path without traffic by other devices not by MAC based VLAN going to the LAN1 subnet by PVID 1

So you can move this out of ideas

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 568  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @PeterUK

Noted. We have moved this discussion to the Switch category.

Kay