NWA50AX Pro: no SNMP referral into configuration section nor manual

mMontana
mMontana Posts: 1,362  Guru Member
Fifth Anniversary Community MVP 50 Answers 1000 Comments
edited May 21 in Wireless

I'm running firmware 6.65(ACGE.1) latest available at time of writing. AP has gone through wizard configuration.

https://www.zyxel.com/it/it/products/wireless/ax3000-wifi-6-dual-radio-nebulaflex-access-point-nwa50ax-pro/specifications

There's stated: no SNMP. That's disappointing, due to presence of SNMP on a stale product like NWA-1123v3, and the "Pro" naming.

Same destin as "non pro version", which has been requested

(by the way, I'd love SNMP on NWA50AX Pro…. ) then i got stuck into this interesting manual page. (V6.29, V6.65_Ed2)

I'd love to emphasize that manual is the same for NWA50,90,55… so 50 Pro?
So maybe SNMP is there, only not accessible to "non Nebula" paesants?

Currently Nebula setup lowers configuration capabilities of USG Flex devices, and USG Flex H still not in par with older gen function list. Provide newer products with less features is not the better idea. And I'm not referring removing http version of admin console, SNMP "v1" or WEP… which might be considered with sense "old and insecure features"…

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 1,394  Zyxel Employee
    1000 Comments Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch

Hi @mMontana ,

The manual you referred to applies to the small business models as NWA50AX, 90AX, and 55AXE and the NWA50AX Pro, 90AX Pro as well. Currently, there is no SNMP feature available in the small business models. However, users can consider using Nebula for configuring and monitoring the APs. We plan to update the manual in the coming days to correct this.

If you are interested in SNMP functionality for the NWA50AX Pro, please consider supporting the feature request on the Zyxel forum. Your vote will help demonstrate user interest and could influence Zyxel's development priorities.

We understand your concerns regarding the perceived reduction in configuration capabilities with Nebula-managed USG Flex compared to on premise devices. We are committed to continually improving and expanding Nebula's feature set to enhance flexibility and control for the USG Flex series.

Regarding the USG FLEX H, we have a development roadmap in place, and efforts are ongoing to power this model. Please stay tuned to the Security Gateway New Release for updates on these enhancements.

Currently, only SNMPv2c and SNMPv3 are available; there is no option for SNMPv1, the NWA1123ACv3 as an example. As for the HTTP admin console, and WEP, we recognize that these are less secure options, but they remain necessary for some devices. Additionally, we provide advanced options for users to meet various requirements. We will carefully consider any decisions to remove older features in the future.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,362  Guru Member
    Fifth Anniversary Community MVP 50 Answers 1000 Comments

Well… users creation is available for a service… that's not included into device? I hardly can understand this, sorry.
    Also: the feature is available… but not on a service that can be user controlled. Seems a little hidden to me.
    I trust competence, skill, and craftyness of Zyxel company and people, however reinvent the wheel might not be the shortest path for achieve a result. Probabily Nebula use a more efficient and less configurable way to monitor the device… However older NWA had SNMP… so why the current one do not have it? Name not changed, by consumer perspective should be "newer version of the same device", not a less featured device. Even the "pro" naming, after the missing of the feature, is a bit misleading.

I can blame myself for not having checked deep enought the features. But I can't feel good about the way Zyxel named the products (NWA50AX PRO is not "latest generation" product).

For any sales pitch: Nebula is not par to USG ZLD 5.x features. Nor is USG Flex H.
    I feel I made the wrong choice about NWA50AX Pro, but currently Nebula do not make me feel any better as other option: has some ups (a monitoring server on site is not neede) and downs (actually don't work without internet access)… And the site already have zabbix monitoring service, which allows SNMP on other zyxel devices… like NWA1100-N, NWA1100-NH and NWA-1123v2. And all other network devices, not only zyxel ones.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 1,394  Zyxel Employee
    1000 Comments Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch

Hi @mMontana ,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

In our initial evaluation, the NWA50AX, NWA90AX, NWA55AXE, WAX50AX Pro, and WAX90AX Pro were designed for use in homes and small businesses, so SNMP support was not included, as noted in the datasheet.

However, we recognize that more home and small business users are now considering SNMP as a valuable feature. While the NWA50AX Pro utilizes Nebula for simplified management and monitoring, we understand that SNMP offers unique advantages for integration with existing network monitoring tools like Zabbix.

We appreciate your suggestion to introduce SNMP support in future firmware updates for the SB models. We recommend visiting the idea post to vote, that help demonstrate user interest and could increase the development priorities.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L