Switch Config Compatibility?

NEP
NEP Posts: 72  Ally Member
First Comment Friend Collector Second Anniversary

Hello,

We have a bunch of XGS2210-52HP switches and I'm looking to buy a spare. We had one but just had to use it. Availability on those switches is lacking, so I'm looking at the XGS2220-54HP.

Does anyone know if a config from the 2210 can be restored to the 2220? I've only tried doing this for an ATP800 to ATP200 and that didn't work. Anyway, if not direct, is there a way to modify it to allow for that? Or some other way of accomplishing this?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 989  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    Answer ✓

Hi @NEP

Due to differences in features and port numbers between different models, the configuration file cannot be directly transferred from the XGS2210 to the XGS2220.

However, you can manually replicate the configuration on your XGS2220 by connecting to it via console and pasting the configuration from your XGS2210 using commands. Once applied, verify that the running-config of the XGS2220 aligns with your previous switch. I believe this method will be faster than applying the configuration one-by-one.

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    Answer ✓

Hi @NEP

Due to differences in features and port numbers between different models, the configuration file cannot be directly transferred from the XGS2210 to the XGS2220.

However, you can manually replicate the configuration on your XGS2220 by connecting to it via console and pasting the configuration from your XGS2210 using commands. Once applied, verify that the running-config of the XGS2220 aligns with your previous switch. I believe this method will be faster than applying the configuration one-by-one.

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

• NEP

Thank you for that @Zyxel_Kay. Can you be a little more specific about "pasting the configuration from your XGS2210 using commands"? Specifically, the pasting and commands part. I opened a console and tried pasting an innocuous line like "system name "Testing"", but it didn't do anything. I even tried going into Configure mode and turning on Privileged commands. Nothing. Anyway, is there some documentation you can point me to?

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited May 17

Hi @NEP

To replicate your configuration from the XGS2210-52HP to the XGS2220-54HP via CLI, you can follow these steps. Here is an example using SSH:

1. Connect your computer to one of the Ethernet ports.
    2. Use an SSH client program (like Tera Term or PuTTY) to access the switch. Ensure your computer's IP address is in the same subnet.
    3. First, access the XGS2210-52HP and type the command show running-config. Then, copy the configuration to your clipboard.
    4. Next, access the XGS2220-54HP and enter configure mode by typing the command configure.
    5. Then paste your previous configuration into the XGS2220-54HP.
    6. Once complete, you can verify the XGS2220-54HP's current configuration by using the command show running-config or by checking the device's web GUI.

I hope this helps! If you need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Kay

• NEP

Thank you for that. That is what I was trying, however, I was looking at the config for a "GS1900-24EP". That is where I found the "system name 'Testing'" command. Guess that means that this method cannot be used with any two switches because commands are all different. That's kind of a bummer.

Anyway, thanks again for the instructions. I was particularly thinking of needing this if a switch dies. That means I have to skip step # 3 and use a backup (which we take once a month). No problem there.