NWA50AX POE injector with Smart-Mesh

Wookie
Wookie Posts: 51  Ally Member
Friend Collector Third Anniversary 10 Comments

Hi there

I use a NWA50AX Pro in my garden, it is installed in the Zyxel Outdoor case (SKU 149000). I use the AP in Smart-Mesh mode, meaning the uplink is wireless from another Zyxel AP inside the house.

I would like to power the AP in the garden via POE from a POE-Injector.

question: Is it possible to power the AP from the POE-injector but still have the uplink wireless?

I know that some APs detect that an RJ-45 cable is plugged in and expect data coming from the cable, which is not the case in my environment.

all the best

Andrew

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 2,140  Zyxel Employee
    250 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Third Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Answer ✓

Hi @Wookie,

Yes, it is possible to power the AP from the POE-injector and still have the wireless uplink.

Since you have set your AP to smart mesh repeater mode, this AP will keep using the wireless signal to communicate with the root AP until you change the mode or reset it to factory default.

Zyxel Melen

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! 

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 2,140  Zyxel Employee
    250 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Third Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Answer ✓

Hi @Wookie,

Yes, it is possible to power the AP from the POE-injector and still have the wireless uplink.

Since you have set your AP to smart mesh repeater mode, this AP will keep using the wireless signal to communicate with the root AP until you change the mode or reset it to factory default.

Zyxel Melen

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!